The atomic Coulomb potential extends to infinity?

In summary: Is the "Introduction to Nuclear Physics" written by Kennet S. Krane, I believe is a good bookYes, I like it too
aaronll
I'm studying nuclear physics in a text, but at one point that is said: "Both the Coulomb potential that binds the atom and the resulting electronic charge distribution extends to infinity" , I don't understand what is that "resulting electronic charge distribution extends to infinity" what they mean? ( maybe I misunderstand the phrase but i don't know)
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
aaronll said:
I'm studying nuclear physics in a text, but at one point that is said: "Both the Coulomb potential that binds the atom and the resulting electronic charge distribution extends to infinity" , I don't understand what is that "resulting electronic charge distribution extends to infinity" what they mean? ( maybe I misunderstand the phrase but i don't know)
thanks

I assume by "charge distribution" it means the wave-function for the electron. And, theoretically the spatial wave-function for the electron is non-zero everywhere. I.e. no matter how far the distance from the nucleus, there is still a non-zero probability of detecting the electron there.

In practical terms, of course, the electron probability distribution drops off to nearly zero very quickly - of the order of magnitude of a few times the Bohr radius.

Likes Lord Jestocost, vanhees71 and aaronll
PeroK said:
I assume by "charge distribution" it means the wave-function for the electron. And, theoretically the spatial wave-function for the electron is non-zero everywhere. I.e. no matter how far the distance from the nucleus, there is still a non-zero probability of detecting the electron there.

In practical terms, of course, the electron probability distribution drops off to nearly zero very quickly - of the order of magnitude of a few times the Bohr radius.
Thank you

Which text is this? I guess, I'll like to avoid its use ;-)).

vanhees71 said:
Which text is this? I guess, I'll like to avoid its use ;-)).
Is the "Introduction to Nuclear Physics" written by Kennet S. Krane, I believe is a good book

Yes, I like it too, but are there really such statements as that the long-ranged nature of the Coulomb potential of the nucleus in an atom were "resulting electronic charge distribution extends to infinity"? That doesn't make sense or at least hints at an pretty unusual interpretation of the (energy-eigen) wave functions of the electron(s) in atoms. It sounds something like Schrödinger's very first interpretation of his ##\psi(t,\vec{x})## before Born's probabilistic interpretation. Even then it's strange since as the hydrogen wave functions show, the bound states all fall exponentially for ##r \rightarrow \infty##, and from that the typical atomic length scales are determined by the Born radius of about ##0.5 \mathring{\text{A}}##.

1. What is the atomic Coulomb potential?

The atomic Coulomb potential is a fundamental concept in atomic physics that describes the force between two charged particles, such as an electron and a nucleus. It is based on Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the atomic Coulomb potential extend to infinity?

The atomic Coulomb potential extends to infinity because the force between two charged particles never completely disappears, no matter how far apart they are. As the distance between the particles increases, the force becomes weaker, but it never reaches zero. This is because the potential energy between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the distance between them, and as the distance approaches infinity, the potential energy also approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of the atomic Coulomb potential extending to infinity?

The fact that the atomic Coulomb potential extends to infinity has important implications for atomic systems. It means that the force between an electron and a nucleus is always present, even if the distance between them is very large. This helps to explain why electrons are able to stay in orbit around the nucleus, as the Coulomb force keeps them bound together.

4. How does the atomic Coulomb potential affect the stability of atoms?

The atomic Coulomb potential plays a crucial role in determining the stability of atoms. It is responsible for keeping the positively charged nucleus and negatively charged electrons together, creating a stable atomic structure. Without this potential, the electrons would not be bound to the nucleus and the atom would not be stable.

5. Can the atomic Coulomb potential be manipulated?

Yes, the atomic Coulomb potential can be manipulated by changing the charges and/or the distances between particles. For example, by adding or removing electrons from an atom, the Coulomb potential can be altered, resulting in changes to the atom's properties. Additionally, in particle accelerators, the Coulomb potential can be manipulated to accelerate charged particles to high speeds.