Coulomb's Law and Gauss's law

In summary: What is the problem?In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force and electric dipole moment between two electric charges, as well as the electric flux through two spherical Gaussian surfaces centered at the origin. The formula used for the force is \vec{F_{12}} = \frac {1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q_1q_2}{|\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}|^3}(\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}), and the resulting force on q1 is (-0.013, 0, -0.013)N. The electric dipole moment is calculated using the formula P = qD, where
henrybrent
User informed about mandatory use of the homework template.
Two electric charges q1 = 2 microC and q2 = -2 microC are located at [itex]\vec{r_1}=(1,0,0)m[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_2}=(0,0,-1)m[/itex] respectively. Calculate the force on q1 in vector form. [itex] \vec{F_{12}} = \frac {1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q_1q_2}{|\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}|^3}(\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}) [/itex]

is the formula I am using.

I get an answer of (-0.013, 0, -0.013)N but I don't think this is correct and I have no idea where I messed up.

any ideas? ( I have no numerical solutions to the questions)

Calculate the electric dipole moment of this system (vector form)

I have used P = qD

q = 2x10^-6
d = (1,0,1) which I obtained from using r1-r2

So I just get the charge again multiplied by the vector

Don't think this is correct either.

Calculate the electric fluxes through two spherical Gaussian surfaces centred at the origin with radii R1=0.5m and R2=10m respectively

Now this is confusing. The first sphere doesn't enclose any charge, so q_enclosed is just 0? And the 10m sphere encloses both, but when you find the total charge enclosed, it's 2+ (-2) = 0? so again 0?

Any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
All looks good to me. What makes you think it's wrong?

How can someone tell you where you messed up if you don't show your work?

[itex] \vec{F_{12}} = \frac {1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{(2x10^-6)(-2x10^-6)}{\sqrt{2}^3}(1,0,1) [/itex]

That is my working

It looks OK. So does your result.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.98755 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. How is Coulomb's Law related to Gauss's Law?

Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law are both laws that describe the behavior of electric charges. Coulomb's Law deals with the force between two charged particles, while Gauss's Law deals with the electric field created by a distribution of charges. Gauss's Law can be derived from Coulomb's Law by using the concept of electric flux.

4. What are the prerequisites for understanding Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law?

A basic understanding of electric charges, electric fields, and vector calculus is necessary to fully understand Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law. These laws are typically covered in an introductory physics or electromagnetism course.

5. What are some real-world applications of Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law?

Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law have many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the behavior of electrically charged particles in accelerators, and the distribution of electric charges in atoms. These laws also play a crucial role in understanding lightning, the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and the properties of materials.