Count the number of strings of length 8...

In summary, the question asks to count the number of strings of length 8 over the set $A = \{w, x, y, z\}$, starting with either $w$ or $y$ and containing at least one $x$. The answer is 28,394.
shamieh
Count the number of strings of length $8$ over $A = \{w, x, y, z\}$ that begins with either $w$ or $y$
and have at least one $x$

I don't understand this question at all. First of all, this is a set A that contains 4 elements $w,x,y,z$ correct? They are asking me to count the number of strings of length 8? None of these are length 8, what are they asking me? Also wouldn't this be:

$A = \{ wxyz, wzxy, wyxz, ... \}$ I mean I'm going to have a lot of different combinations right? Also, every single group contained in the set is going to have at least one $x$.. I am so confused here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait.. am I making this harder than it is? Is that just $4^8$

|Ok I think I've figured it out.. Can someone check my work? Sorry to be a pest with the triple posts...

$A = \{w,x,y,z\}$

$U = \{w,y\} * A^7$

$S = \{w,y\} * \{w,y,z\}^7$

$|U - S| = |U| - |S|$

$= |\{w,y\} * A^7| - |\{w,y\} * \{w,y,z\}^7|$

$= |\{w,y\}||A|^7 - |\{w,y\}||\{w,y,z\}|^7$

$= 2(4^7) - 2(3^7) = 28,394$

1. What is the purpose of counting the number of strings of length 8?

The purpose of counting the number of strings of length 8 is to determine the total number of possible combinations of 8 characters, including letters, numbers, and special characters. This can be useful in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and probability.

2. How do you calculate the number of strings of length 8?

The number of strings of length 8 can be calculated by using the formula n^r, where n is the number of possible characters and r is the length of the string. In this case, the formula would be n^8 as we are looking for strings of length 8.

3. Can you give an example of counting the number of strings of length 8?

Sure, let's say we have a set of 10 characters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J. To count the number of strings of length 8, we would use the formula 10^8, which equals 100,000,000 possible combinations.

4. Are there any limitations to counting the number of strings of length 8?

Yes, there are limitations depending on the number of characters available and the length of the string. As the number of characters or the length of the string increases, the number of possible combinations also increases, making it difficult to count or store all of them.

5. How is counting the number of strings of length 8 useful in computer science?

Counting the number of strings of length 8 is useful in computer science for tasks such as generating unique identifiers, creating passwords, and testing algorithms. It also helps in understanding the complexity of problems and finding efficient solutions through the use of combinations and permutations.