Countable intersection of F-sigma sets

In summary: So I'll stop here.In summary, F_\sigma sets can be either countable unions of closed sets or atypical members of F_{\sigma\delta} sets, depending on whether they are in F_\sigma or G_\delta. There is a countable intersection of F_\sigma sets which is not an F_\sigma set, and a "pure" F_{\sigma\delta} set which is neither in F_\sigma nor G_\delta.
jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
My question concerns [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. An [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] set is one which can be expressed as a countable union of closed sets.

I have several books that state that a countable intersection of [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] sets need not be an [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] set (indeed, such sets have their own designation, [itex]F_{\sigma\delta}[/itex]), but none of them gives a counterexample. Does anyone know one offhand? This isn't homework/coursework; I'm just curious and haven't been able to come up with one. I would prefer a concrete example if possible, not just an existence proof.

Relevant facts: Clearly a countable UNION of [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] sets is [itex]F_\sigma[/itex]. All open and closed sets in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] are [itex]F_\sigma[/itex]. [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is an [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] set as it is a countable union of singletons. The only concrete example of a set I know is not [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] is [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}[/itex], the set of irrationals.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\mathbb{R}\setminus \mathbb{Q} = \bigcap_{q\in \mathbb{Q}} \mathbb{R}\setminus \{q\}[/tex]

micromass said:
[tex]\mathbb{R}\setminus \mathbb{Q} = \bigcap_{q\in \mathbb{Q}} \mathbb{R}\setminus \{q\}[/tex]
Yes, I just had that realization while thinking about it again. I had been trying some more convoluted way of finding a sequence of open sets that decreased to [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}[/itex], but missed the most obvious one!

The above construction also shows that [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is a [itex]G_\delta[/itex] set (i.e. a countable intersection of open sets), which also follows immediately from the fact that its complement [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is a countable union of singletons, hence a [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] set.

So [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is in some sense an atypical member of [itex]F_{\sigma\delta}[/itex] because it is also in [itex]G_\delta[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is an atypical member of [itex]F_{\sigma\delta}[/itex] because it is also in [itex]F_\sigma[/itex].

This led me to look for an example of a "pure" [itex]F_{\sigma\delta}[/itex] set, one which is in neither [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] nor [itex]G_\delta[/itex].

I think that [itex]S = (\mathbb{Q} \cap (-\infty,0)) \cup ((\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}) \cap (0,\infty))[/itex] is such a set. (i.e. the union of all negative rationals and all positive irrationals.) Here is my reasoning:

If [itex]S[/itex] were a [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] set, then [itex]S \cap (0,\infty)[/itex] would also be [itex]F_\sigma[/itex], but that is not the case, because [itex]S \cap (0,\infty) = ((\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}) \cap (0,\infty))[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]S[/itex] is not a [itex]G_\delta[/itex] set. However, I can form a descending sequence of [itex]F_\sigma[/itex] sets whose intersection is [itex]S[/itex] by starting with [itex](Q \cap(-\infty,0)) \cup (0,\infty)[/itex] and removing one positive rational at a time.

Then I started thinking about what a "pure" [itex]F_{\sigma\delta\sigma}[/itex] set would look like, and it made me tired.

Thank you for your question. You are correct in stating that a countable intersection of F_\sigma sets need not be an F_\sigma set. In fact, this is a well-known result in topology and set theory. One example of an F_{\sigma\delta} set that is not an F_\sigma set is the set of all real numbers that have a decimal expansion consisting only of the digits 0 and 1. This set is not an F_\sigma set, but it can be expressed as a countable intersection of F_\sigma sets.

To understand this example, let's first define what an F_{\sigma\delta} set is. An F_{\sigma\delta} set is a set that can be expressed as a countable intersection of countable unions of closed sets. In other words, it is a countable intersection of F_\sigma sets. Now, let's look at the set of all real numbers that have a decimal expansion consisting only of the digits 0 and 1. This set can be written as the intersection of the sets A_n, where A_n is the set of all real numbers whose decimal expansion contains only 0's and 1's up to the nth digit. Each of these sets is an F_\sigma set, as it is the countable union of the closed sets [0,1], [0.0,0.1], [0.00,0.11], and so on. However, the intersection of these sets is not an F_\sigma set, as it cannot be expressed as a countable union of closed sets.

In general, any set that is not an F_\sigma set can be expressed as a countable intersection of F_\sigma sets. This is because the complement of an F_\sigma set is an F_\sigma set, and the complement of an F_{\sigma\delta} set is an F_{\sigma\delta} set. So, in your example, \mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q} is an F_{\sigma\delta} set, and its complement \mathbb{Q} is also an F_{\sigma\delta} set.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of F_\sigma and F_{\sigma\delta} sets. In summary, a countable intersection of F_\sigma sets need not be an F_\sigma set, and the set of all real

Related to Countable intersection of F-sigma sets

What is a countable intersection of F-sigma sets?

A countable intersection of F-sigma sets refers to the intersection of an infinite number of sets that are each of the form F-sigma. An F-sigma set is a set that can be expressed as the union of a countable number of closed sets. Therefore, a countable intersection of F-sigma sets is a set that can be expressed as the intersection of a countable number of unions of closed sets.

How is a countable intersection of F-sigma sets different from a countable intersection of Borel sets?

A countable intersection of F-sigma sets is a more specific type of intersection than a countable intersection of Borel sets. While all F-sigma sets are Borel sets, not all Borel sets are F-sigma sets. This means that a countable intersection of F-sigma sets is a subset of a countable intersection of Borel sets.

What is the significance of countable intersection of F-sigma sets in mathematics?

Countable intersections of F-sigma sets are significant in mathematics because they are a commonly used concept in measure theory and descriptive set theory. They allow for the precise definition and analysis of various mathematical concepts, such as Borel measures and Baire categories.

Can a countable intersection of F-sigma sets be empty?

Yes, a countable intersection of F-sigma sets can be empty. This can occur if the sets being intersected are not compatible, meaning they do not have any elements in common. For example, the intersection of the sets [0,1] and [2,3] would be empty.

How is a countable intersection of F-sigma sets related to the concept of a sigma-algebra?

A countable intersection of F-sigma sets is a type of sigma-algebra, specifically a Borel sigma-algebra. This means that it satisfies the properties of a sigma-algebra, such as being closed under countable unions and intersections. Additionally, all F-sigma sets are Borel sets, which are also part of the Borel sigma-algebra.