Countering the Movement of the Ocean & different size boats/ships

In summary, the Navy says that surface boats don't affect submarines and that a submarine is too heavy to be affected.
IgnorantofPhysics
I’ve been on cruise ships and recreational boats. But, that’s not something I do every weekend. That’s just an occasional thing. On the smaller boats, I can feel the ebb and flow of being on the ocean more noticeably. On the cruise ships, I have to be real still and off in a quiet place to notice a small tug every now and then. I don’t know the proper physics term, that’s why I’m using descriptive language. Maybe the proper physics term is “buoyancy,” or the effects of buoyancy is what I'm feeling. I don’t know. But, my physics question is “Is there a sufficient size/mass/[feel free to insert some precise term here] which would virtually eliminate the tugs you feel on a boat?”

I’ve never been in the Navy either. I wonder if those who have could testify whether passengers on an aircraft-carrier-size boat would feel the effects of the ebb and flow of the ocean? So, would that size boat take care of it? Or, would being underwater, on a submarine eliminate the movements you feel on the surface boats?

Any, insights would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your question, the answer is yes. There is a threshold of perception of acceleration. Flight simulators, which have limited motions, use that effect to fool people into thinking they are on an airplane with less limited motion. Look at this video about 4 minutes in.

anorlunda said:
If I understand your question, the answer is yes. There is a threshold of perception of acceleration. Flight simulators, which have limited motions, use that effect to fool people into thinking they are on an airplane with less limited motion. Look at this video about 4 minutes in.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this for me. I watched the video. I think I'm going to get one of those for my garage. Since I'm not married, I shouldn't have to worry about any second-guessing nor negative feedback in trying to do so. lol I couldn't resist. I thought the rain drops were cool too.

So, I think your "Yes" is in response to my main question. Though, I created a problem by asking more than one question. That's my fault. But, it's good to know that enough mass/size/[whichever appropriate physics term(s)] would counter feeling that you're on the ocean.

If any millionaires are on the forum who have a few recreational submarines in their marina next to their yachts, I'm curious whether underwater vehicles sufficiently counter the tugs you would feel on surface boats. But, in the slim chance that there aren't any millionaires here, which I doubt since they are so common, maybe some Navy folks could inform me about submarines and this matter.

The surface waves causing displacement (movement) and rotation (rocking) of boats are wind generated. They're basically occasionally oversized ripples on water surface and not waves propagating in the medium itself. As such, the associated water displacement quickly diminishes below surface, as shown in this animation from the wiki article on wind waves:
Deep_water_wave.gif

A submarine even at a modest depth will not be affected much - its inertia will dampen these small forces much better than if the same boat were on the surface.

Bandersnatch said:
The surface waves causing displacement (movement) and rotation (rocking) of boats are wind generated. They're basically occasionally oversized ripples on water surface and not waves propagating in the medium itself. As such, the associated water displacement quickly diminishes below surface, as shown in this animation from the wiki article on wind waves:
Deep_water_wave.gif

A submarine even at a modest depth will not be affected much - its inertia will dampen these small forces much better than if the same boat were on the surface.
Thank you very much, sir, for this detailed reply. I'm a visual learner. And, though you didn't take a picture of the submarine you own in the marina, including the graphic was very helpful in getting me to grasp the effects below water.

IgnorantofPhysics said:
though you didn't take a picture of the submarine you own in the marina
I ain't got one on hand at the moment, but if you stay tuned to this thread, I should be able to afford a modestly-sized submersible and post relevant pictures in... (*checks income*) about 180 years.

1. How can we counter the movement of the ocean when sailing on a boat or ship?

One way to counter the movement of the ocean is by using stabilizers. These are fins or wings attached to the sides of the vessel that help reduce the rolling motion caused by waves. Another method is to use ballast tanks, which can be filled with water or air to help stabilize the ship. Additionally, advanced technology such as gyroscopic stabilizers can also be used to counteract the movement of the ocean.

2. What factors affect the movement of the ocean and how does it impact different sized boats/ships?

The movement of the ocean is primarily affected by wind, tides, and currents. The size and shape of a boat or ship can also play a role in how it is impacted by these factors. Smaller vessels are more susceptible to the effects of wind and waves, while larger ships may have more stability due to their size and weight. However, large vessels are also more affected by ocean currents due to their larger surface area.

3. How do different types of boats/ships handle the movement of the ocean differently?

Different types of boats and ships are designed to handle the movement of the ocean in different ways. For example, sailboats are designed to use the power of the wind to move through the water, while motorized vessels rely on engines to propel them. Catamarans and trimarans have multiple hulls which provide more stability and reduce the rolling motion caused by waves. It is important for sailors to understand the capabilities and limitations of their specific type of boat or ship.

4. Can the movement of the ocean be predicted and how does this affect the navigation of boats/ships?

The movement of the ocean can be predicted to some extent using weather forecasts and ocean current models. However, it is not an exact science and can still be influenced by unexpected factors. This unpredictability can make navigation challenging, especially in rough seas. It is important for sailors to continuously monitor weather and ocean conditions and adjust their course accordingly.

5. Are there any risks associated with countering the movement of the ocean on boats/ships?

While there are risks associated with any activity on the water, using techniques to counter the movement of the ocean on boats and ships can help reduce the risk of accidents and seasickness. However, it is important to use caution and follow safety protocols when implementing these methods. For example, stabilizers should be used appropriately and ballast tanks should be properly filled and emptied to maintain balance and stability.