Counting Cycles in S_5: Examining Conjugacy Classes and Lengths

In summary, to find the number of cycles of length 2, 3, 4, and 5 in S_5, you need to account for the fact that some elements are counted multiple times. This can be done by using the concept of conjugacy classes and considering the possible ways in which cycles of different lengths can be formed. This results in a total of 10 elements with length 2, 60 elements with length 3, 15 elements with length 4, and 24 elements with length 5.
joeblow
I am examining the conjugacy classes of S_5. I know that two elements in S_5 are conjugate if and only if they have the same structure when expressed as products of irreducible cycles. Thus, the conjugacy classes are [(1 2 3 4 5)], [(1 2 3 4)], [(1 2 3)], [(1 2 3)(4 5)], [(1 2)(3 4)], [(1 2)], [(1)]. Now, I want to find how many elements of S_5 are in each.

I need to find the number of cycles of length 2,3,4, and 5 in S_5. I know there are C(5,2)=10 cycles of length 2. I was thinking that to count the cycles of length 3, I start with a cycle of length 2, chose 1 of the 3 unused elements and insert it in one of two possible places to put it. (e.g. If I start with the cycle (1 2) and I choose to add 3, I can make (3 1 2) = (1 2 3) or (1 3 2) )

This should give C(10,1) * C(3,1) * 2 = 60 elements in [(1 2 3)]. However, since [(1 2 3)(4 5)] should have the same number of elements as [(1 2 3)] (since the 2-cycle is set once the 3-cycle is chosen), this would give more elements than are possible.

What am I forgetting to subtract off?

Physics news on Phys.org
joeblow said:
I am examining the conjugacy classes of S_5. I know that two elements in S_5 are conjugate if and only if they have the same structure when expressed as products of irreducible cycles. Thus, the conjugacy classes are [(1 2 3 4 5)], [(1 2 3 4)], [(1 2 3)], [(1 2 3)(4 5)], [(1 2)(3 4)], [(1 2)], [(1)]. Now, I want to find how many elements of S_5 are in each.

I need to find the number of cycles of length 2,3,4, and 5 in S_5. I know there are C(5,2)=10 cycles of length 2. I was thinking that to count the cycles of length 3, I start with a cycle of length 2, chose 1 of the 3 unused elements and insert it in one of two possible places to put it. (e.g. If I start with the cycle (1 2) and I choose to add 3, I can make (3 1 2) = (1 2 3) or (1 3 2) )

This should give C(10,1) * C(3,1) * 2 = 60 elements in [(1 2 3)]. However, since [(1 2 3)(4 5)] should have the same number of elements as [(1 2 3)] (since the 2-cycle is set once the 3-cycle is chosen), this would give more elements than are possible.

What am I forgetting to subtract off?

You count many elements many times.

For example, you can start with (1 2) and add 3 to make (1 2 3) or (1 3 2).
But you could also start with (2 3) and add 1 to make (1 2 3) or (1 3 2).

So you at least count every element twice, and perhaps even more.

What is the significance of counting cycles in S5?

Counting cycles in S5 allows us to understand the group structure of S5, which is the symmetric group on 5 elements. It helps us identify the number of elements in each cycle and how they are related to each other.

How many cycles are there in S5?

There are 120 cycles in S5, which is the same as the number of elements in the group. This is because every element in S5 can be represented as a product of disjoint cycles.

What is the maximum length of a cycle in S5?

The maximum length of a cycle in S5 is 5, which means there are no cycles longer than 5 elements. This is because S5 is a group of permutations of 5 elements, so the longest possible cycle would involve all 5 elements.

How do you count the number of cycles in S5?

To count the number of cycles in S5, we use the formula n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of elements and n1, n2, ..., nk are the sizes of the cycles. In S5, we have n = 5 and n1 = 5, so the formula becomes 5! / (51!) = 120.

What is the relationship between counting cycles and the order of an element in S5?

The order of an element in S5 is the same as the number of elements in its cycle. For example, an element with a cycle of length 3 has an order of 3. This is because the order of an element is the smallest positive integer n such that the element raised to the power of n results in the identity element. In this case, raising the element to the power of 3 will bring it back to its original position, hence the order is 3.