Showing any transposition and p-cycle generate S_p

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the proof for Corollary 2.10 states that any p-cycle can be written as (12...p) by relabeling the objects being permuted through conjugation in S_p. An example is given using R=(3 5) and Q=(4 1 2 5 3) in S_5 to show how this can be achieved. This means that the group generated by a transposition and a p-cycle can be written as <(h k), (1 2 ... p)> through conjugation, where (h k) is the conjugation of the transposition. This is proven in Theorem 2.8 of the linked source.
jackmell
I was hoping someone could help me understand the following proof from:

http://www.math.uconn.edu/~kconrad/blurbs/grouptheory/genset.pdf
Corollary 2.10. For a prime number ##p##, ##S_p## is generated by any transposition and any p-cycle. Proof. Any p-cycle can be written as (12...p) by relabeling the objects being permuted (that means by applying an overall conjugation on ##S_p##), so to show any transposition and any p-cycle generate ##S_p## it suffices to show any transposition and the standard p-cycle (12...p) generate ##S_p##

The problem I'm having is the line ``Any p-cycle can be written as ##(1\;2\;\cdots\;p)## by relabeling the objects being permuted by applying an overall conjugation on ##S_p##''.

An example helps me to understand:

Suppose I have ##R=(3\;5),Q=(4\;1\;2\;5\;3)\in S_5##. Now, I take this to mean if I conjugate the entire group, ##\sigma S_5 \sigma^{-1}## such that ##\sigma Q \sigma^{-1}=(1\;2\;3\;4\;5)##, then I've effectively ``relabeled'' ##Q## with ##(1\;2\;3\;4\;5)##. That's easy to accomplish since in general for ##\rho=(a\;b\;c\;d\;e)##, ##\sigma\rho\sigma^{-1}=(\sigma(a)\;\sigma(b)\;\sigma(c)\;\sigma(d)\;\sigma(e))##. Then let ##\sigma=(1\;2\;3\;5\;4)## and then we have ##(1\;2\;3\;5\;4)(4\;1\;2\;5\;3)(4\;5\;3\;2\;1)=(1\;2\;3\;4\;5)##. Therefore I assume this all means:

##
\big<(3\;5),(4\;1\;2\;5\;3)\big>=\big<(h\;k),(1\;2\;3\;4\;5)\big>
##

since conjugation is an automorphism (it's a bijection) and where ##(h\;k)## is the conjugation of ##(3\;5)## and just accepting for the moment if I can get it to that form, it generates the group via the second part of the theorem which I will accept for now.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks for reading,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

The second part of the theorem is proven as Theorem 2.8 of what you linked.

Given that, you just need to write out the formulas by which an arbitrary element g of the group can be expressed in terms of a transposition T and a p-cycle C by first using Theorem 2.8 to express the conjugate of g in terms of another transposition (why not choose (1 2) WLOG) and the standard p-cycle.

Likes jackmell

1. What is a transposition and p-cycle?

A transposition is a permutation that switches the positions of two elements in a sequence. A p-cycle is a permutation that cycles p elements in a sequence while leaving the others unchanged.

2. How do transpositions and p-cycles generate S_p?

Transpositions and p-cycles are considered to be "generators" in the symmetric group S_p, meaning that all permutations in S_p can be created by combining these two types of permutations.

3. Can any combination of transpositions and p-cycles generate S_p?

Yes, any combination of transpositions and p-cycles can generate S_p as long as the number of elements in the cycles add up to p and there are at least p-1 transpositions.

4. Why are transpositions and p-cycles important in S_p?

Transpositions and p-cycles are important in S_p because they are the building blocks for creating all possible permutations in S_p. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the symmetric group.

5. How is the concept of transpositions and p-cycles applied in real life?

The concept of transpositions and p-cycles is applied in many areas of mathematics and computer science, including cryptography, group theory, and algorithm design. They are also used in various applications such as creating secure encryption methods and designing efficient sorting algorithms.