Counting Unique 7-Digit Phone Numbers - No Repeats

In summary, the problem is asking for the number of 7 digit phone numbers with no repeated digits. There are two approaches to solving this problem - pretending that the first digit (N) can also be chosen from 0-9, or considering the last 6 digits alone and choosing the first digit separately. To solve the problem, we can use combinations and permutations to determine the number of possible 7 digit numbers and then subtract the ones starting with 0 or 1. Alternatively, we can look at the problem as finding the number of 1-digit, 2-digit, 3-digit, etc. numbers with no repeated digits and using combinations and permutations to calculate the possibilities.
THA
Problem details:
Given a 7 digit phone number in the form: NXX - XXXX
N = a number from 2-9
X = a number from 0-9
how many with no repeated digits?

I think if I pretend that N is also a number from 0-9, then there would be P(10, 7) numbers without repeats, but then that's too much and I'm not sure how I can subtract the number's that N is not supposed to have. The other way I was thinking is the last 6 numbers can be chosen P(10, 6) without repeat's but then I'm not sure how I can choose the number of N. Can someone provide some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many single digit numbers with no repeated digits?
What about two, three, four etc.?

Also, it might be easier to figure out how many possible 7 digit numbers there are, and then subtract off the ones starting with 0 or 1.

How many single digit numbers with no repeated digits?
It's regular 7-digit phone number, none of the 7 digit's can repeat. If that's not what you meant, then please clarify.

Also, it might be easier to figure out how many possible 7 digit numbers there are, and then subtract off the ones starting with 0 or 1.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm not really sure how to count the number's that start with 0 or 1. Would it be something like: P(10,7) - 2*P(10,6) ?

Here's what NateTG means : Forget for now that you have a 7 digit number and look at the following.

How many ways of finding a 1-digit number ? That's easy : 10 ways. Any number from 0..9 can be used.
How many 2-digit numbers without repeats ? Okay, I can put any of the10 numbers in the ten's place, and having used up this number, I can put any of the remaining 9 numbers in the unit's place. So there's 90 possibilities or P(10,2)
In this 2-digit number, if the ten's digit had to be only one of 2..9, I can fill that spot in 8 ways, and the units spot in...still only 9 ways.

And so on...

Related to Counting Unique 7-Digit Phone Numbers - No Repeats

1. How many digits are in a standard phone number?

A standard phone number in the United States consists of 10 digits, including the area code.

2. Can phone numbers start with a 0 or 1?

Yes, phone numbers can start with a 0 or 1, but they are typically only used for special purposes such as toll-free numbers or country codes.

3. Are all phone numbers in the same format?

No, phone numbers can vary in format depending on the country or region. For example, some countries may have longer or shorter phone numbers, or use different symbols for separating digits.

4. How many different phone numbers can be created?

Assuming a standard 10-digit phone number, there are 10 billion possible combinations (10^10) of numbers that can be created.

5. Can phone numbers include letters or special characters?

Some phone numbers may include letters or special characters in addition to numbers, such as in vanity numbers or international phone numbers. However, these variations are not commonly used in standard phone numbers.