Converting Numbers Between Different Bases: Is It Possible to Use Only n Digits?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary: Yes, it is. $10203=1\cdot 100^2+2\cdot 100^1+3\cdot 100^0$ with respect to $p=100$.And $10203=1\cdot 10^4+0\cdot 10^3 + 2\cdot 10^2+0\cdot 10^1 + 3\cdot 10^0$ with respect to $q=10$. 🤔In summary, at a representation where digits correspond to consecutive powers of the basis in a decreasing order, it suffices
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We consider the usual representation of non-negative integers, where the digits correspond to consecutive powers of the basis in a decreasing order.
Show that at such a representation, for the conversion of a number with basis $p$ to a system with basis $q$, where $p=q^n$ and $n$ positive integer, it suffices that each digit of the number is expressed from initial system of basis $p$ to the system of basis $q$, using $n$ digits of the system of basis $q$.
Also the rule should be stated and it should be proved at the reverse case, i.e. when the conversion is done from the system of basis $q$ to the system of basis $p$.

Could you give me a hint how we could show this? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda!

So we have a number like $p_0 + p_1\cdot p + p_2\cdot p^2 +\ldots$ yes?
And we have $p=q^n$ so that number is the same as $p_0 + p_1\cdot q^n + p_2\cdot q^{2n} +\ldots$.
That is a representation in the system with basis $q$ isn't it? 🤔
So if we needed $m$ digits to represent the number in the system with basis $p$, we can represent the number with $m$ digits in the system with basis $q$ as well. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Hey evinda!

So we have a number like $p_0 + p_1\cdot p + p_2\cdot p^2 +\ldots$ yes?
And we have $p=q^n$ so that number is the same as $p_0 + p_1\cdot q^n + p_2\cdot q^{2n} +\ldots$.
That is a representation in the system with basis $q$ isn't it? 🤔
Yes, it is... (Nod) But how do we know that the coefficients $p_0,p_1, \dots$ are also based on the system of basis $q$ ? (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
So if we needed $m$ digits to represent the number in the system with basis $p$, we can represent the number with $m$ digits in the system with basis $q$ as well. 🤔

Yes, but we need to show that $n$ digits suffice, right? 🧐

evinda said:
Yes, it is... But how do we know that the coefficients $p_0,p_1, \dots$ are also based on the system of basis $q$ ?
Didn't we just show that? :unsure:
We effectively wrote the same number with respect to the system with basis $q$, didn't we? 🤔

evinda said:
Yes, but we need to show that $n$ digits suffice, right?
Could it be that's a mistake in the problem statement?

Consider for example that $p=100$ and $q=10$. So $n=2$.
We can represent the number $10203$ with respect to $p$ as $123$, and we can represent the same number with respect to $q$ as $10203$.
In this case we need $m=3$ digits to represent the number and $n=2$ digits does not suffice to represent the number. :unsure:

Last edited:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
We efectively wrote the same number with respect to the system with basis $q$, didn't we? 🤔

Do we know that $p_0,p_1,p_2, \dots$ are also written in the system with basis $q$, since $p=q^n$ and so $p<q$ ?

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Could it be that's a mistake in the problem statement?

We can represent the number $10203$ with respect to $p$ as $123$, and we can represent the same number with respect to $q$ as $10203$.
In this case we need $m=3$ digits to represent the number and $n=2$ digits does not suffice to represent the number. :unsure:

We have that $\frac{10203}{100}=102 \cdot 100+3$ and so $10203=1023$ with respect to $100$ and $\frac{10203}{10}=1020 \cdot 10+3$ and so $10203=10203$ with respect to $10$, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Do we know that $p_0,p_1,p_2, \dots$ are also written in the system with basis $q$, since $p=q^n$ and so $p<q$ ?
More or less. It means that the digits with respect to $q$ are the same - except that there are $n-1$ zeroes in between each of the digits. 🤔
evinda said:
We have that $\frac{10203}{100}=102 \cdot 100+3$ and so $10203=1023$ with respect to $100$ and $\frac{10203}{10}=1020 \cdot 10+3$ and so $10203=10203$ with respect to $10$, right? (Thinking)
More accurately, we have $10203=1\cdot 100^2+2\cdot 100^1+3\cdot 100^0$ with respect to $p=100$.
And we have $10203=1\cdot 10^4+0\cdot 10^3 + 2\cdot 10^2+0\cdot 10^1 + 3\cdot 10^0$ with respect to $q=10$. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We effectively wrote the same number with respect to the system with basis $q$, didn't we? 🤔Could it be that's a mistake in the problem statement?

Is it maybe meant that each digit of the number is expressed with $n$ digits of the system $q$ ?

For example in this case $3$ is written as $03$, $2$ as $02$ and $1$ to $01=1$.

So since $p=q^n$ it means that each digit in the $p$-system corresponds to $n$ digits of the $q$-system.

But is this statement sufficient when we want to prove that for the conversion of a number from the $p$-system to the $q$-system that then it suffices that each digit of the number is expressed using $n$ digits of the $q$-system?

evinda said:
Also the rule should be stated and it should be proved at the reverse case, i.e. when the conversion is done from the system of basis $q$ to the system of basis $p$.

Could you give me a hint how we could show this? (Thinking)

For the reverse case, we begin from the end and we pick consecutively $n$-digits at the $q$-system that correspond to one digit of the $p$-system. At the beginning, we might need to add 0s to get $n$ digits. Right? How could this rule be proved? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Is it maybe meant that each digit of the number is expressed with $n$ digits of the system $q$ ?

For example in this case $3$ is written as $03$, $2$ as $02$ and $1$ to $01=1$.

So since $p=q^n$ it means that each digit in the $p$-system corresponds to $n$ digits of the $q$-system.

But is this statement sufficient when we want to prove that for the conversion of a number from the $p$-system to the $q$-system that then it suffices that each digit of the number is expressed using $n$ digits of the $q$-system?
Ah right. That makes more sense. (Nod)

So we start with a number $p_0 + p_1 \cdot p^1 + p_2\cdot p^2 + \ldots$, which is equal to $p_0 + p_1 \cdot q^n + p_2\cdot q^{2n} + \ldots$.
We have that each $p_i$ is between $0$ and $p-1=q^n-1$.
So each of the $p_i$ can be written as an n-digit number with respect to $q$.
That is, we can write $p_i = q_{i0} + q_{i1} q^1 +\ldots + q_{i(n-1)} q^{n-1}$ with appropriate $q_{ij}$. 🤔

evinda said:
For the reverse case, we begin from the end and we pick consecutively $n$-digits at the $q$-system that correspond to one digit of the $p$-system. At the beginning, we might need to add 0s to get $n$ digits. Right? How could this rule be proved?
We can start with the general number $q_0+q_1 \cdot q^1+q_2\cdot q^2+\ldots$.
Now we can group those terms in groups of $n$, can't we? And each group corresponds to a digit with respect to $p$. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Ah right. That makes more sense. (Nod)

So we start with a number $p_0 + p_1 \cdot p^1 + p_2\cdot p^2 + \ldots$, which is equal to $p_0 + p_1 \cdot q^n + p_2\cdot q^{2n} + \ldots$.
We have that each $p_i$ is between $0$ and $p-1=q^n-1$.
So each of the $p_i$ can be written as an n-digit number with respect to $q$.
That is, we can write $p_i = q_{i0} + q_{i1} q^1 +\ldots + q_{i(n-1)} q^{n-1}$ with appropriate $q_{ij}$. 🤔

I see! (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We can start with the general number $q_0+q_1 \cdot q^1+q_2\cdot q^2+\ldots$.
Now we can group those terms in groups of $n$, can't we? And each group corresponds to a digit with respect to $p$. 🤔

I understand! Thank you very much! (Smirk)

1. What is conversion to other basis?

Conversion to other basis is the process of changing a number from one numerical system to another. This is often done to make calculations or comparisons easier.

2. Why is conversion to other basis important in science?

Conversion to other basis is important in science because different numerical systems may be more suitable for specific types of calculations or measurements. By converting numbers to a different basis, scientists can make more accurate and meaningful calculations.

3. What are the most commonly used numerical systems for conversion?

The most commonly used numerical systems for conversion are decimal (base 10), binary (base 2), octal (base 8), and hexadecimal (base 16). Each system has its own unique way of representing numbers and is useful for different types of calculations.

4. How is conversion to other basis done?

Conversion to other basis is done by dividing the original number by the base of the desired numerical system and then taking the remainder. This process is repeated until the quotient becomes zero. The remainders are then arranged in reverse order to form the converted number.

5. Can conversion to other basis be done for non-integer numbers?

Yes, conversion to other basis can also be done for non-integer numbers. The process is similar to converting whole numbers, but the decimal part of the number is also converted using the same method. For example, in binary, the decimal part is multiplied by 2 and the whole number part is taken as the converted digit. This process is repeated until the decimal part becomes zero or a repeating pattern emerges.