Couple of algebra questions I'm struggling with

In summary, the problem is asking to find the value of p if the roots of equation px2 - 4x + 1 are equal, and to prove that the equation (k - 2)x2 + 2x - k = 0 has real roots for any real value of k. The solution involves considering the discriminant, which must be equal to or greater than 0 in order for the equation to have real roots. For the first equation, this means that p = 4, and for the second equation, it shows that the roots are real for any value of k.
MadmanMurray

Homework Statement

1.)
a.) If the roots of equation px2 - 4x + 1 are equal then find value of p
b.) Prove that the equation (k - 2)x2 + 2x - k = 0 has real roots (upside down A symbol) k E R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how to approach these questions. For a.) it says roots are equal meaning there's only 1 root but how do I find out what that root is if I have a constant in there?

For b.) I have the same problem. I would usually plug an equation into the quadratic formula to find out if it has real roots but in this case there's a constant so I'm lost. Do I have to find this constant first and if so how?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you just need to consider the discriminant.

For a) What does the discriminant have to be for the two roots to be equal (hint: look at the quadratic equation)

For b) Compute the discriminant

Ah yea I didn't think about the fact it has to come to 0 thanks a lot. Can you verify my answer real quick I got P = 4 for a.)

For b.) do I need to find out what k is first?

Last edited:
Yes, p=4. For the second one look at the discriminant again. You can't find k. You just need to show that the discriminant is nonnegative for all k.

Yes, p = 4 is correct. You should verify it by factoring the the expression and checking to see that there is only one root.

For b), no, the question suggests that k is any real number. The idea is to show that no matter what k is, the roots of the resulting quadratic are real.

Remember, the discriminant is the quantity under the square root. What should the sign of the discriminant be?

Ah right that clears it up thanks a lot for the help.

Related to Couple of algebra questions I'm struggling with

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and understand patterns and relationships between quantities.

2. What are some common algebraic operations?

Some common algebraic operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations can be applied to variables, constants, and equations to solve for unknown quantities.

3. How do you solve linear equations?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means that you must perform the opposite operation to both sides of the equation until the variable is by itself on one side.

4. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and/or operations, but does not include an equal sign. An equation is a mathematical statement that shows that two expressions are equal. In other words, an equation is a mathematical sentence that uses an equal sign to show the relationship between two expressions.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills?

The best way to improve your algebra skills is to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor when you encounter difficult problems. It is also helpful to review basic concepts and formulas, and to use resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding.