An inequality involving ##x## on both sides: ##\sqrt{x+2}\ge x##

In summary, when solving the inequality ##\sqrt{x+2}\ge x##, it is important to consider the possibility that x may be negative and to use the correct notation for intervals. The correct solution is ##\boxed{\mathbf{-2 \le x \le 2 \Rightarrow x \in [-2,2]}}##.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Solve : ##\sqrt{x+2} \ge x##
Relevant Equations
For ##\sqrt{f(x)}##, we must have both (1) ##\sqrt{f(x)} \ge 0## and (2) ##f(x)\ge 0##
1655808817568.png
Problem statement :
Let me copy and paste the problem as it appears in the text on the right.Attempt (myself) : By looking at ##\large{\sqrt{x+2}\ge x}##, from my Relevant Equations above, we have the following :

1. Outcome ##\mathbf{x \ge 0}##, since square roots are always positive.
2. Function inside the square root, ##x+2 \ge 0\Rightarrow \mathbf{x \ge -2}##.

Armed with these inequalities, I square both sides of it. ##x+2 \ge x^2\Rightarrow x^2 - x - 2 \le 0\Rightarrow (x-2)(x+1)\le 0\Rightarrow \mathbf{-1\le x \le 2}##.

Looking at the three (bold faced) solutions above and merging them, I find that the answer must be : ##\boxed{\mathbf{0 \le x \le 2\Rightarrow x \in [0,2]}}##.But the book has a different answer. Attempt (Text Solution) : I copy and paste below the solution to the problem as it appears in the text.

1655809654742.png

Doubt : Of course is the text correct. For instance how can ##x## lie in the interval ##[-2,2]##? That would imply that ##x## can be equal to -1, which would make the square root of a quantity negative.

A hint or suggestion would be welcome as to where have I gone wrong.

Likes nuuskur and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is here:
brotherbobby said:
1. Outcome ##\mathbf{x \ge 0}##, since square roots are always positive.

It is indeed the case that [itex]\sqrt{x + 2} \geq 0[/itex] for [itex]x \geq - 2[/itex], but this admits the possibility that [tex]
\sqrt{x + 2} \geq 0 \geq x.[/tex] Thus [itex]x \in [-2,0][/itex] satisfies the inequality.

• Love
Likes SammyS, Mark44 and Delta2
Different approach:

## \sqrt { x + 2 } = t ##
## x = t ^ 2 - 2 ##
## t \geq t ^ 2 - 2 ##
## t ^ 2 - t - 2 \leq 0 ##
## t \in [-1, 2] ## and because ## t \geq 0 ##
## t \in [0, 2] ##
## \sqrt { x + 2 } \geq 0 ## and ## \sqrt { x + 2 } \leq 2 ##
## x + 2 \geq 0 ## and ## x + 2 \leq 4 ##
## x \geq -2 ## and ## x \leq 2 ##
## x \in [-2, 2] ##

pasmith said:
Thus [itex]x \in [-2,0][/itex] satisfies the inequality.
As does the interval [0, 2], which I believe you knew but didn't state.

If you graph ##y = \sqrt{x + 2}## and ##y = x## on the same coordinate axis system, you can see that ##y = \sqrt{x + 2}## lies above the graph of y = x for ##x \in [-2, 2)## and meets it at x = 2.

Likes Gavran and e_jane

1. What is the solution to the inequality √(x+2) ≥ x?

The solution to this inequality is x ≥ 2.

2. How do you solve an inequality involving x on both sides?

To solve an inequality involving x on both sides, you need to isolate x on one side of the inequality sign by performing inverse operations. Then, you can solve for x as you would with an equation.

3. Can the inequality √(x+2) ≥ x be solved algebraically?

Yes, the inequality √(x+2) ≥ x can be solved algebraically by isolating x on one side of the inequality sign and solving for x.

4. What is the graph of the solution to √(x+2) ≥ x?

The graph of the solution to √(x+2) ≥ x is a shaded region on the number line starting at x = 2 and extending to the right, since all values of x greater than or equal to 2 satisfy the inequality.

5. Are there any extraneous solutions to the inequality √(x+2) ≥ x?

No, there are no extraneous solutions to the inequality √(x+2) ≥ x. This can be verified by plugging in any value of x greater than or equal to 2 into the original inequality and seeing that it still holds true.