Courant/John vs. Apostol for In-Depth Studying of Calculus?

In summary, the person is seeking recommendations for books on single-variable calculus, specifically Courant/John's "Calculus and Analysis" or Apostol's "Calculus Vol.1". They have a background in calculus and are currently studying algebra and linear algebra. They receive advice to start with Apostol's books and then move onto more advanced mathematical analysis books recommended by their research adviser. They hope to not miss anything by skipping the advanced calculus books.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I would like to investigate the depth of single-variable calculus by reading either Courant/John's "Calculus and Analysis" or Apostol's "Calculus Vol.1". Of course, I know the best route of action is to go to mu university library, but I just found out that all of them were checked out! I am seeking one that covers both theories and applications of 1-variable calculus in an insightful manner. Studying either of those texts will also aid my research in the computation theory and also my preparation for the Putnam Compeititon.

As for my background, I had read Serge Lang's "A First Course in Calculus", and I am currently studying Artin's "Algebra" and Hoffman/Kunze's "Linear Algebra". PK

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I have Apostol and Spivak. Spivak is easier to read, however, the exercises in Spivak are a bit more difficult.

I have never seen Courant. Apostol is a good book, but it is written in a formal manner. I quite enjoy it. It is very clear. Even clearer than Stewart Calculus for me.

You cannot go wrong with Apostol. Not sure if it meets your demand for putnam practice.

I think Apostol Calculus would be a great starting point, because you can get familiar with his writing style and tackle his other books. I am looking forward to completing both volumes of Apostol, in order to read his analysis book and his number theory book.

If you do go for Apostol. Volume 1 and 2 can each be found around the 30-40 dollar price range for a hardcover 1st edition. Avoid the paperback from the eastern continents.
They are printed on cheap quality paper, pages can be missing, and the font makes the learning experience not enjoyable.

Likes Leo Liu
^
Thank you for the advice! My research adviser strongly recommend to read the analysis books of Rosenlicht, Apostol, Pugh, Rudin, Folland, and Royden, so I switch my plan from reading the advanced calculus books to real analysis books. I have been reading them, and I actually like Apostol's Mathematical Analysis and Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis. Also according to Professor Apostol, he said that his Calculus books are not prerequisite to his Mathematical Analysis. I really hope that I do not miss anything from those advanced calculus books of Apostol, Spivak, and Courant by jumping directly to the real analysis.

bacte2013 said:
^
Thank you for the advice! My research adviser strongly recommend to read the analysis books of Rosenlicht, Apostol, Pugh, Rudin, Folland, and Royden, so I switch my plan from reading the advanced calculus books to real analysis books. I have been reading them, and I actually like Apostol's Mathematical Analysis and Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis. Also according to Professor Apostol, he said that his Calculus books are not prerequisite to his Mathematical Analysis. I really hope that I do not miss anything from those advanced calculus books of Apostol, Spivak, and Courant by jumping directly to the real analysis.

Not really a pre-rec. However, doing more rigorous mathematics is great! Helps you over the long run.

1. What are the main differences between Courant/John and Apostol for studying Calculus?

The main difference between Courant/John and Apostol is their approach to teaching Calculus. Courant/John focuses on a more theoretical and rigorous approach, while Apostol focuses on a more intuitive and practical approach. Additionally, Courant/John covers more advanced topics such as multivariable calculus and differential forms, while Apostol focuses on the fundamentals.

2. Which book is better for a beginner in Calculus?

For a beginner in Calculus, Apostol may be a better choice as it provides a more approachable and intuitive introduction to the subject. However, someone with a strong mathematical background may prefer the more rigorous approach of Courant/John.

3. Which book covers more advanced topics?

Courant/John covers more advanced topics such as multivariable calculus, differential forms, and vector calculus. These topics are not covered in depth in Apostol.

4. Which book is better for self-study?

Both books can be used for self-study, but it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and background. Someone who prefers a more theoretical approach may benefit more from Courant/John, while someone who prefers a more intuitive approach may prefer Apostol.

5. Are there any notable differences in the examples and exercises provided in each book?

Yes, there are notable differences in the examples and exercises provided in each book. Courant/John typically includes more challenging and theoretical problems, while Apostol focuses on practical and applied examples. Additionally, Courant/John may have more exercises and problems for each topic compared to Apostol.