Just got Courant's calculus text -- Need some tips to work through it

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on how to use the Courant John calculus volume-1 book as a supplement to their studies. They mention having Spivak as well and are looking for a problem book to test their understanding. Another person recommends just diving into the book and wishes them luck.
Mr.Husky
Gold Member
Hi everyone!

I just bought the courant John calculus volume-1 from uni bookstore. I need some tips like errors, topics which are not explained well and topics which are really important and need to focus more on etc..

My background:- have Spivak as a supplement. Knows how to prove and read theorems( from the book how to prove it ).Halfway through schaum's outline of matrices.
IMG_20211109_102059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recall any glaring errors in Courant. I have the first edition without FritzJohn? as coauthor.

Everything is important in Courant :).

Likes vanhees71
Thanks @MidgetDwarf , Good to hear that.

There are less problems in this book. Are they enough to test my theory? Can someone recommend me a problem book which is at this level?(can I solve problems in Spivak with theory of courant?)

yes, spivak is essentially a modern version of courant. i.e. spivak himself perhaps took calculus from courant (i.e. Courant's book) and then wrote his own take on the material, with some proofs lifted from courant, but with many additions and elaborations.

Basically you just need to start digging into the book, without worrying any more about what problems you will encounter. No matter what preparation you make, it will still be challenging. I advise just opening it. (Of course I also need that advice myself in my current projects!) Good luck! (to us both.)

Last edited:
Likes Mr.Husky, PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
Thanks mathwonk for your advice.

1. How difficult is Courant's calculus text compared to other calculus textbooks?

Courant's calculus text is considered to be one of the more challenging calculus textbooks available. It covers a wide range of topics and requires a strong understanding of calculus concepts and mathematical reasoning. However, with dedication and proper study techniques, it can be mastered.

2. What are some tips for working through Courant's calculus text?

First, make sure you have a solid foundation in basic calculus concepts before diving into Courant's text. It may also be helpful to work through practice problems and seek additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups. Additionally, break up the material into manageable chunks and make sure to review and reinforce concepts regularly.

3. How can I stay motivated while working through Courant's calculus text?

It can be challenging to stay motivated while working through a difficult textbook. One tip is to set specific goals for yourself, such as completing a certain number of sections or practice problems each day. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the long-term benefits of mastering calculus and to seek support from classmates or a tutor when needed.

4. Are there any specific sections or topics in Courant's calculus text that are particularly challenging?

This may vary for each individual, but many students find the topics of multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations to be the most challenging in Courant's text. It is important to allocate enough time and effort to thoroughly understand these topics.

5. How can I use Courant's calculus text to prepare for exams?

Courant's calculus text is a comprehensive resource that covers a wide range of calculus topics. To prepare for exams, make sure to review and reinforce concepts regularly, work through practice problems, and seek additional resources or help from a tutor if needed. It may also be helpful to create a study schedule and focus on areas that you find particularly challenging.