Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis

In summary, the new ones of springer are of total of 3 volumes (including the first volume), while the first editions are only 2 books.
devious_
Does anyone know how many chapters Courant & John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume II" has? Because I've found a 4 chapter reprint, and was wondering if I should get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind... I think I understand now: there are two parts to the second volume, and this happens to be the first one.

the new ones of springer are of total of 3 volumes (including the first volume), while the first editions are only 2 books.
but quite hefty, and with applications to physics.

Indeed. I saw the second volume at my school's library the other day. It was huge. :smile:

I own the first volume and, having read through large chunks of it, find it an excellent text. So I decided to see if the same applies to the second volume.

if you read those 2 volumes, no one will know more calculus than you.

mathwonk said:

Wow, Mathwonk seems to be really pleased with Courant. So much so that I'm contemplating picking up the two volumes. I've found Stewart's book to be a breeze for the most part(self-teaching). Perhaps I should look into something more detailed and rigorous?

What is it about Courant's book that impresses you most, if you don't mind my asking? Is it the rigor? The depth? I'd be really interested in knowing.

mathwonk said:

Not even Richard Courant.

duke_nemmerle said:
What is it about Courant's book that impresses you most, if you don't mind my asking? Is it the rigor? The depth? I'd be really interested in knowing.
Courant is amazing. I promise you that you can find anything related to calculus (be it application or theory) in that text.

I just simply love his approach. He doesn't use the usually dry defintion-theorem-corollary approach, but instead he actually motivates everything and gives proofs that feel so intuitive you can't help but feel they're actually informal. Sometimes the more technical proofs (along with other interesting examples, applications, etc.) are left in the appendices so as to not hinder your first attempt at understanding the material. Plus the exercises are just fantastic! You can find a lot of difficult problems in there (even ones that appear in Spivak).

I actually picked up the first volume after mathwonk recommended it. At first I didn't like it all that much, but now it's grown on me. Personally I recommend the "Courant & John" version as opposed to the vanilla "Courant" one. I don't know why, but I liked the structure of the former more.

devious, when you mean vanilla one, do you refer to the volumes entitled:"differential & integral calculus"?

Yes, those. I read "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis".

Related to Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis

What is "Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis"?

"Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" is a textbook written by Richard Courant and Fritz John that provides a comprehensive introduction to the concepts of calculus and mathematical analysis. It covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and series, and is widely recognized as a classic in the field of mathematics education.

Who are Richard Courant and Fritz John?

Richard Courant and Fritz John were two renowned mathematicians who co-authored "Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis". Courant was a German mathematician who made significant contributions to the field of calculus and partial differential equations, while John was an Austrian-American mathematician who was known for his work in mathematical analysis and fluid mechanics.

Is "Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" suitable for beginners?

While "Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" is a comprehensive textbook, it is not necessarily designed for beginners. It assumes a strong mathematical background and is typically used in higher-level undergraduate or graduate courses. However, it can also be a valuable resource for self-study for motivated and dedicated learners.

What makes "Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" a classic textbook?

"Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" is considered a classic textbook because it presents the material in a clear and rigorous manner, with an emphasis on understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It also includes many challenging and interesting problems that help students develop problem-solving skills. The book has been used for decades and is still widely used in mathematics education today.

Are there any newer editions of "Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis"?

Yes, there have been several newer editions of "Courant & John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" published since its initial release in 1931. These newer editions have been revised and updated to include more modern examples and applications, but the core concepts and overall structure of the book remain largely unchanged. The most recent edition was published in 1989.