Course-load for next semester (E&M + Mechanics)

In summary, the speaker is considering taking the courses Elementary Differential Equations, General Chemistry I (with lab), Mechanics, and E&M (Electromagnetism) for the upcoming semester. They are wondering if it is advisable to take Mechanics and E&M together, as they have already taken General Physics I and II and Calculus I, II, and III. They also mention the option of swapping E&M for Engineering Mathematics I, but they are unsure if this is necessary. The speaker explains that they are a first-semester Freshman and that taking all five courses would be a typical course load. Another speaker questions why they would take Engineering Mathematics if they are not an Engineering student, to which the speaker clarifies that it is a required
Caravan
Next semester I will be taking the following courses

- Elementary Differential Equations
Methods for the solution of elementary types of ordinary differential equations with geometrical, physical and chemical applications.

- General Chemistry I (with lab)
Fundamental principles of chemistry including states of matter, modern atomic and bonding theory, mass and energy relationships in chemical reactions, equilibria, reaction rates and electrochemistry. Properties of the elements and their compounds are discussed in terms of structure.

- Mechanics
Motion of a particle in one, two and three dimensions, motion of a system of particles, rigid bodies, gravitation, moving coordinate systems, wave propagation along a string, Lagrange’s equations. Hamilton’s equations.
Prereq: Calc 3; coreq: Differential Equations

AND

- E&M
Fundamentals of electromagnetic theory. Vector analysis, Maxwell’s equations, electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic waves.
Prereq: Calc 3; coreq: Differential Equations

OR

- Engineering Mathematics I
Systems of linear equations, row operations, Gauss Jordan reduction, matrix algebra, inversion, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, Vector Calculus, Green’s Theorem, Stoke’s Theorem, Fourier Series, the solution of the heat and wave equations by Fourier Series, Bessel functions and applications.
Prereq: Calc 3

I am wondering if it is advisable to take Mechanics and E&M concurrently, as these are not intro level courses. I already took General Physics I and II, and Calc I, II, and III. I am currently a freshmen in my first semester. Or should I swap out E&M for Engineering Mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do whatever you prefer. I don't think it is an unreasonable course load. To graduate on time, most programs (where I am located) require a minimum of 5 courses per term. For engineering it is 6-7.

General Physics I is Mechanics and General Physics II is E&M, no?

These look like the intermediate-level mechanics and E&M courses, not the two semesters of General Physics.

jtbell said:
These look like the intermediate-level mechanics and E&M courses, not the two semesters of General Physics.

Correct. They are not General Physics I and II—I have already taken those courses.

Just take all 5

Are you a physics or engineering student?

Why would you take engineering maths if you are not an engineering student? Anyway it looks like linear algebra, vector calculus and PDEs, which you should be taking anyway for your physics degree.

EM and mechanics at the same time should be fine.

You are still in your first semester so you can always take Engineering Maths later if you need to.

qspeechc said:
Are you a physics or engineering student?

Why would you take engineering maths if you are not an engineering student? Anyway it looks like linear algebra, vector calculus and PDEs, which you should be taking anyway for your physics degree.

EM and mechanics at the same time should be fine.

You are still in your first semester so you can always take Engineering Maths later if you need to.

I'm a Physics major. That Engineering Math class is required for Physics major.

1. What is the recommended course-load for next semester if I am taking E&M and Mechanics?

The recommended course-load for next semester if you are taking E&M and Mechanics is typically 12-15 credit hours. This allows you to have a manageable workload while still being able to excel in both courses.

2. Are there any prerequisites for taking E&M and Mechanics together?

Yes, typically students are required to have completed introductory physics courses, such as Mechanics and Electricity & Magnetism, before taking E&M and Mechanics together. It is important to have a strong foundation in these subjects before moving on to more advanced courses.

3. How difficult is the course-load for E&M and Mechanics?

The difficulty of the course-load for E&M and Mechanics can vary depending on your individual strengths and weaknesses. However, these courses are generally considered to be more challenging than introductory physics courses. It is important to stay organized and dedicated to your studies in order to succeed.

4. What resources are available to help me succeed in E&M and Mechanics?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in E&M and Mechanics. Your professor will likely have office hours where you can ask questions and get extra help. You can also form study groups with your classmates and utilize online resources such as practice problems and videos.

5. Can I take E&M and Mechanics at the same time and still maintain a good GPA?

It is possible to take E&M and Mechanics at the same time and maintain a good GPA, but it will require dedication and hard work. It is important to prioritize your studies and stay on top of coursework to ensure success. Utilizing resources such as tutoring and study groups can also be beneficial in maintaining a good GPA.