Course suggestion for student interested in Condensed Matter

In summary, a bachelor student in Physics is looking to pursue a MSc in Condensed Matter Physics and is seeking advice on which course to choose between Electronics and Advanced Linear Algebra and Geometry. It is suggested that the Electronics course would be more useful for future job prospects, while the second course may be more beneficial for academic positions. However, for condensed matter theory, it is common for students to learn the necessary math as they go, so a formal math background may not be necessary. Group theory may also be important, but typically in the context of discrete groups and representations.
crick
I'm a bachelor student in Physics and I would like to continue with a MSc in the field of Condensed Matter Physics.

I have to choose between some courses at my university and, since I'm not already an expert in Condensed Matter I would like to have a suggestion. If you were in my situation and you could choose only one between these two courses, what would you choose?
  • Electronics (Thevenin and Norton theorems - Quadripoles and transfer functions - DC Regime, AC, impulsive - diodes, BJTs, JFET, MOS - equivalent circuits for small signals - linear, amplification - Elements of statistical - stochastic processes and electronic noise )
  • Advanced Linear Algebra and Geometry (Groups and Lie algebras, The classical matrix groups and their geometric meaning, Lie algebra of matrices and exponential application, differential geometry, Elements of differential geometry of curves: Frenet formulas., Differential geometry of surfaces., Fundamental quadratic form on the surfaces., Gaussian curvature, tangent and differential spaces of differentiable functions between varieties.)
Which of the two could be more useful or even necessary for the study of Condensed Matter (both experimental or theoretical)?

I would say that the linear algebra course gives notions that are touched more in other fields of theoretical physics, so I would go with Electronics, but I'm talking without being sure at all.

So which of the two courses would you suggest for a student at the end of the bachelor degree, willing to study Condensed Matter (but still not sure if theoretical or experimental)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want any hope of a job, the first one. If you want to play the lottery and hope for getting an academic position, the second.

For condensed matter theory people mostly learn the necessary math as they go so you don't really need to have a formal math background. I personally took one semester of algebra and topology but most of the math I learned on my own or in physics classes. Group theory can be very important in condensed matter but usually more along the lines of discrete groups and representations.

Likes crick

1. What is Condensed Matter?

Condensed Matter is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of solid and liquid materials, such as their structure, behavior, and properties at the atomic and molecular levels.

2. What are some potential career options for students interested in Condensed Matter?

Students interested in Condensed Matter can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including materials science, nanotechnology, semiconductor technology, and research and development in industries such as electronics, energy, and pharmaceuticals.

3. What are some recommended courses for students interested in Condensed Matter?

Some recommended courses for students interested in Condensed Matter include solid state physics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. It is also beneficial to take courses in related fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are helpful for students interested in Condensed Matter?

Students interested in Condensed Matter should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to have a strong interest in scientific research and experimentation.

5. Are there any research opportunities available for students interested in Condensed Matter?

Yes, there are many research opportunities available for students interested in Condensed Matter. Many universities and research institutions offer undergraduate and graduate research programs in this field. It is also possible to find internships or research positions in industries related to Condensed Matter.