Covariant Characterization of Causality in Continuum: T^{ik}v_k

In summary: Instead, what you have is terms like ##( T^{00} v_0 + T^{01} v_1 + T^{02} v_2 ) ( T_{10} v_0 + T_{11} v_1 + T_{12} v_2 ) ( T_{20} v_0 + T_{21} v_1 + T_{22} v_2 ) ( T_{30} v_0 + T_{31} v_1 )##. These don't look right. The expression ##T^{ik} v_k T_{ij} v^j## should expand to terms that look like ##( T^{00} v_0 + T^{01} v_
Emil_M
Hi!

Let ##T^{ik}## be the stress-energy-tensor, and ##v_k## some future-pointing, time-like four vector.

How can I see that the object ##T^{ik}v_k## is future-pointing and not space-like?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the dot product of two future pointing timelike vectors in your signature convention?

##v_k v^k##

Emil_M said:
How can I see that the object ##T^{ik}v_k## is future-pointing and not space-like?

Compute its squared length. What do you get?

PeterDonis said:
Compute its squared length. What do you get?

The thing is, I am not really sure how to do that :)

What I'd do is the following:

##T^{ik}v_k T_{il}v^l=T^{ik}v_k \eta_{im}\eta_{ln}T^{mn} \eta^{lj}v_j## but I'm not sure if that leads anywhere...

Emil_M said:
What I'd do is the following

This is correct as an expression for the squared length of the vector, yes. If that vector is timelike, then the sign of its squared length must be the same as the sign of ##v_k v^k##. How would you go about comparing the signs of the two?

(One hint: you should find that, in order for the signs of the two to be the same, you have to impose conditions on the components of ##T^{ij}##; i.e., the vector you're looking at is not always timelike, it only is if ##T## satisfies certain conditions.)

PeterDonis said:
If that vector is timelike, then the sign of its squared length must be the same as the sign of ##v_k v^k##. How would you go about comparing the signs of the two?

(One hint: you should find that, in order for the signs of the two to be the same, you have to impose conditions on the components of ##T^{ij}##; i.e., the vector you're looking at is not always timelike, it only is if ##T## satisfies certain conditions.)

Thanks for your help.

According to my calculations [tex]T^{ik}v_k T_{ij}v^j=(T^{00}v_0+T^{01}v_1+T^{02}v_2+T^{03}v_3)^2-(T^{10}v_0+T^{11}v_1+T^{12}v_2+T^{13}v_3)^2-(T^{20}v_0+T^{21}v_1+T^{22}v_2+T^{23}v_3)^2-(T^{30}v_0+T^{31}v_1+T^{32}v_2+T^{33}v_3)^2.[/tex]

However, I am struggling to find conditions for ##T^{ik}## from this...

Emil_M said:
According to my calculations

These don't look right. The expression ##T^{ik} v_k T_{ij} v^j## should expand to terms that look like ##( T^{00} v_0 + T^{01} v_1 + T^{02} v_2 + T^{03} v_3 ) ( T_{00} v^0 + T_{01} v^1 + T_{02} v^2 + T_{03} v^3 )##, with the index positions on ##T## and ##v## switching from one factor to the other.

1. What is the significance of the T^{ik}v_k in the covariant characterization of causality in continuum?

The T^{ik}v_k represents the energy-momentum tensor and velocity vector, respectively. In the context of causality, this term is used to describe the flow of energy and momentum in a continuum, such as in fluid mechanics or general relativity.

2. How is causality defined in the context of continuum physics?

Causality is the principle that states that the cause of an event must always precede its effect. In continuum physics, this is often described using the concept of light cones, where causal events must occur within the light cone of a given event.

3. What does the covariant characterization of causality in continuum tell us about the behavior of physical systems?

This concept tells us that the flow of energy and momentum in a physical system must always follow a consistent and predictable pattern. It also allows for the prediction of future events based on the current state of a system.

4. How does the concept of causality in continuum relate to the concept of determinism?

Causality in continuum is closely related to the concept of determinism, which is the idea that the future behavior of a system can be completely determined by its current state and the laws of physics. In this context, causality ensures that the behavior of a system is consistent and predictable.

5. Can the concept of causality in continuum be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the principle of causality in continuum can be applied to all physical systems, as it is based on fundamental concepts such as energy and momentum conservation. However, the specific equations and methods used to describe causality may vary depending on the specific system being studied.