Covariant derivative of a contravariant vector

In summary, the negative sign in the derivative of the contravariant components of a vector seems to cancel out when contracted with the metric tensor.
An easier way to remember these calculations is to include the basis vectors and to treat this as a basic calculus problem, then for a contravariant vector field you have

\begin{align}
\vec{A}_{;j} &= \partial_j (A^i \vec{e}_i) = A^i_{,j}\vec{e}_i + A^i \vec{e}_{i,j} = A^i_{,j} \vec{e}_i + A^i \vec{e}_{i,j} \vec{e}^k \cdot \vec{e}_k \\

&= A^i_{,j} \vec{e}_i + A^i (\vec{e}_{i,j} \cdot \vec{e}^k) \vec{e}_k = A^i_{,j} \vec{e}_i + A^k (\vec{e}_{k,j} \cdot \vec{e}^i) \vec{e}_i = A^i_{,j} \vec{e}_i + A^k \Gamma^i_{kj} \vec{e}_i \\

& = (A^i_{,j} + \Gamma^i_{kj} A^k) \vec{e}_i = A^i_{;j} \vec{e}_i
\end{align}

while for a covariant vector field we have

\begin{align}
\vec{A}_{;j} &= \partial_j (A_i \vec{e}^i) = A_{i,j}\vec{e}^i + A_i \vec{e}^i_{,j} = A_{i,j} \vec{e}^i + A_i \vec{e}^i_{,j} \vec{e}_k \cdot \vec{e}^k \\

&= A_{i,j} \vec{e}^i + A_i (\vec{e}^i_{,j} \cdot \vec{e}_k) \vec{e}^k = A_{i,j} \vec{e}^i - A_i (\vec{e}^i \cdot \vec{e}_{k,j}) \vec{e}^k = A_{i,j} \vec{e}^i - A_k (\vec{e}^k \cdot \vec{e}_{i,j}) \vec{e}^i \\

&= A_{i,j} \vec{e}^i - A_k \Gamma^k_{ij} \vec{e}^i = (A_{i,j} - \Gamma^k_{ij} A_k) \vec{e}_i = A_{i;j} \vec{e}_i

\end{align}

Where I used $$(\vec{e}_i \cdot \vec{e}^k)_{,j} = (\delta_i^k)_{,j} = 0 \rightarrow \vec{e}_{i,j} \cdot \vec{e}^k = - \vec{e}_i \cdot \vec{e}^k_{,j}$$

Note you can do both of these without randomly adding $$1 = \vec{e}_k \cdot \vec{e}^k$$ in the calculation, that just helps me get the indices right, you can ignore them and switch the indices yourself to get the answer, as is done here

http://www.physicspages.com/2013/02/16/covariant-derivative-and-connections/

<H2>What is the definition of a covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?</H2><p>The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe how a vector field changes as it moves along a curved manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the manifold and allows for the differentiation of vectors in a coordinate-independent manner.</p><H2>How is the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector calculated?</H2><p>The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the vector components with respect to the coordinates of the manifold, and then adding correction terms that account for the curvature of the manifold. This can be represented mathematically using the Christoffel symbols and the metric tensor.</p><H2>What is the significance of the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?</H2><p>The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is significant because it allows for the differentiation of vector fields on curved manifolds, which is necessary for understanding and describing physical phenomena in fields such as general relativity and fluid dynamics. It also allows for the formulation of equations that are independent of the choice of coordinates, making them more general and applicable in different contexts.</p><H2>What are some real-world applications of the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?</H2><p>The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector has many applications in physics, including the study of general relativity, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to describe the movement and deformation of objects in 3D space. Additionally, it is used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations on curved manifolds.</p><H2>How does the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector relate to other mathematical concepts?</H2><p>The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as the gradient, divergence, and curl. It is also related to the concept of parallel transport, which describes how a vector is transported along a curve on a manifold without changing its direction. Additionally, it is connected to the concept of curvature, which measures how a manifold deviates from being flat.</p>

Related to Covariant derivative of a contravariant vector

What is the definition of a covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?

The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe how a vector field changes as it moves along a curved manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the manifold and allows for the differentiation of vectors in a coordinate-independent manner.

How is the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector calculated?

The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the vector components with respect to the coordinates of the manifold, and then adding correction terms that account for the curvature of the manifold. This can be represented mathematically using the Christoffel symbols and the metric tensor.

What is the significance of the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?

The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is significant because it allows for the differentiation of vector fields on curved manifolds, which is necessary for understanding and describing physical phenomena in fields such as general relativity and fluid dynamics. It also allows for the formulation of equations that are independent of the choice of coordinates, making them more general and applicable in different contexts.

What are some real-world applications of the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector?

The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector has many applications in physics, including the study of general relativity, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to describe the movement and deformation of objects in 3D space. Additionally, it is used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations on curved manifolds.

How does the covariant derivative of a contravariant vector relate to other mathematical concepts?

The covariant derivative of a contravariant vector is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as the gradient, divergence, and curl. It is also related to the concept of parallel transport, which describes how a vector is transported along a curve on a manifold without changing its direction. Additionally, it is connected to the concept of curvature, which measures how a manifold deviates from being flat.