Metric compatibility and covariant derivative

In summary: You would need to have metric compatibility for that to happen.In summary, Sean Carroll explains that if there is metric compatibility, then it is possible to lower the index on a vector in a covariant derivative. However, this only applies to vector fields whose integral curves are geodesics. The statement that ##p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=0## implies ##p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\mu=0## is not generally true and requires metric compatibility.
George Keeling
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Sean Carroll says that if we have metric compatibility then we may lower the index on a vector in a covariant derivative. Why?
Sean Carroll says that if we have metric compatibility then we may lower the index on a vector in a covariant derivative. As far as I know, metric compatibility means ##\nabla_\rho g_{\mu\nu}=\nabla_\rho g^{\mu\nu}=0##, so in that case ##\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=\nabla_\lambda p_\mu##. I can't see why one follows from the other. I can do this with the Leibnitz rule and then using metric compatibility$$
\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=\nabla_\lambda\left(g^{\mu\nu}p_\nu\right)=p_\nu\nabla_\lambda g^{\mu\nu}+g^{\mu\nu}\nabla_\lambda p_\nu=0+\nabla_\lambda p^\mu
$$which goes nowhere.
Also I get the same result much slower if I expand ##\nabla_\lambda\left(g^{\mu\nu}p_\nu\right)## using the usual rules for the covariant the covariant derivative and Christoffel symbols.

Can anybody tell me why metric compatibility ##\Rightarrow\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=\nabla_\lambda p_\mu##?

It is vital for proving something about conservation of momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
George Keeling said:
Can anybody tell me why metric compatibility ##\Rightarrow\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=\nabla_\lambda p_\mu##?
That is not what he means, and this of course isn't true. The two tensors are of different type, they cannot be equal. What he means is that to lower the index in ##\nabla_\lambda p^\mu## you can do it inside the derivative i.e. ##g_{\mu\nu}(\nabla_\lambda p^\nu)=\nabla_\lambda (g_{\mu\nu}p^\nu)##.

Likes vanhees71 and George Keeling
martinbn said:
That is not what he means, and this of course isn't true. The two tensors are of different type, they cannot be equal. What he means is that to lower the index in ##\nabla_\lambda p^\mu## you can do it inside the derivative i.e. ##g_{\mu\nu}(\nabla_\lambda p^\nu)=\nabla_\lambda (g_{\mu\nu}p^\nu)##.
Just to add that this is easy to verify as
$$
\nabla_\lambda(A_{\mu\nu} B^\nu) = B^\nu \nabla_\lambda A_{\mu\nu} + A_{\mu\nu} \nabla_\lambda B^\nu
$$
in general. Letting ##A = g## and ##B = p## and using ##\nabla_\lambda g_{\mu\nu} = 0## directly gives you the result.

Likes vanhees71 and George Keeling
martinbn said:
The two tensors are of different type, they cannot be equal.
How embarrassing! But I should have told the whole truth: What Carroll actually said was that metric compatibility means that$$
p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=0\Rightarrow p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\mu=0
$$so perhaps I am forgiven for my indexing faux pas. Now in baby steps:$$
p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=0
$$$$
\Rightarrow g^{\mu\nu}p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\nu=0
$$$$
\Rightarrow g_{\rho\mu}g^{\mu\nu}p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\nu=0
$$$$
\Rightarrow\delta_\rho^\nu p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\nu=0
$$$$
\Rightarrow p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\rho=0
$$I hope I haven't made another terrible blunder and perhaps metric compatibility was not important? The first step could use it or more elegantly use the rule for covariant derivatives that they '3. Commute with contractions'
stevendaryl said:
Here's the way I understand #3.
##g^{\lambda \nu} (\nabla_\mu T_{\nu \lambda \rho}) = \nabla_\mu (g^{\lambda \nu} T_{\nu \lambda \rho})##
or you could just say that ##\nabla_\lambda p^\mu## is a tensor so you can contract with the metric anyway.

George Keeling said:
What Carroll actually said was that metric compatibility means that
$$p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p^\mu=0\Rightarrow p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\mu=0$$
Carroll should have the caveat that this only applies to vector fields whose integral curves are geodesics, (i.e. if the vector is the velocity vector of a geodesic). So in general you will still have $$p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p^\mu \neq p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\mu$$

Pencilvester said:
Carroll should have the caveat that this only applies to vector fields whose integral curves are geodesics, (i.e. if the vector is the velocity vector of a geodesic). So in general you will still have $$p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p^\mu \neq p^\lambda\nabla_\lambda p_\mu$$
There is no caveat to the given statement. The given statement was a particular implication.

Likes Pencilvester
Orodruin said:
There is no caveat to the given statement.
You’re absolutely right, I did not phrase my thought correctly. I should have also included what I was specifically replying to:
George Keeling said:
so perhaps I am forgiven for my indexing faux pas.
Not that anyone here would hold a grudge, but the statement made in the OP that X = Y still does not generally apply even when the derivative is taken in the direction of the vector.

1. What is metric compatibility?

Metric compatibility is a property of a mathematical space where the metric tensor is used to define distances and angles. It means that the metric tensor is invariant under coordinate transformations, ensuring that the distance between two points and the angle between two vectors remain the same regardless of the coordinate system used.

2. Why is metric compatibility important?

Metric compatibility is important because it allows us to define a consistent and meaningful notion of distance and angle in a space, regardless of the coordinate system used. This is crucial in many areas of physics and mathematics, such as general relativity and differential geometry, where the metric tensor is used to describe the geometry of a space.

3. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical operation that allows us to differentiate tensor fields in a curved space. It takes into account the curvature of the space and ensures that the resulting derivative is tensorial, meaning it transforms correctly under coordinate transformations.

4. How is metric compatibility related to the covariant derivative?

Metric compatibility is a necessary condition for the existence of a covariant derivative. This is because the covariant derivative relies on the metric tensor to define the connection coefficients, which are used to differentiate tensor fields. Without metric compatibility, the connection coefficients would not transform correctly, and the resulting derivative would not be tensorial.

5. Can metric compatibility be violated?

Yes, metric compatibility can be violated in certain cases, such as in non-Riemannian geometries. In these cases, the metric tensor does not remain invariant under coordinate transformations, and the resulting geometry is not metrically compatible. However, in most applications, such as in general relativity, metric compatibility is assumed to hold.