Covariant derivative of Killing vector and Riemann Tensor

In summary: Do not post a paraphrase of it, and do not post your working. Post the actual text of the question, verbatim.In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove the equation $$D_\mu D_\nu \xi^\alpha = - R^\alpha_{\mu\nu\beta} \xi^\beta$$ where D is the covariant derivative and R is the Riemann tensor. The person has already proved the equation $$D_\mu D_\nu \xi_\alpha = R_{\alpha\nu\mu\beta} \xi^\beta$$ but is having trouble getting it into the required form. Suggestions are made to raise the alpha index on each side and swap indices on the Riemann
dwellexity
I need to prove that $$D_\mu D_\nu \xi^\alpha = - R^\alpha_{\mu\nu\beta} \xi^\beta$$ where D is covariant derivative and R is Riemann tensor. ##\xi## is a Killing vector.
I have proved that $$D_\mu D_\nu \xi_\alpha = R_{\alpha\nu\mu\beta} \xi^\beta$$
I can't figure out a way to get the required form from my solution. Please suggest a way to get the required form from my solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you raise the ##\alpha## index on each side?

PeterDonis said:
What happens when you raise the ##\alpha## index on each side?
Just raising the ##\alpha## index doesn't solve the problem. There is still the minus sign and the order of ##\mu## and ##\nu## indices is wrong.

dwellexity said:
There is still the minus sign and the order of ##\mu## and ##\nu## indices is wrong.

What happens when you swap those indices on the Riemann tensor?

PeterDonis said:
What happens when you swap those indices on the Riemann tensor?
I do not know of any symmetry involving swapping two middle indices of the Riemann tensor. The symmetries I know involve first two or last two or pair of first two and last two.

@PeterDonis Did you delete the last post? I can't see it anymore. Anyway, I tried what you suggested and it didn't get me anywhere. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Could you please show me a few steps?

The relation you have found so far is correct (see e.g. Carroll's book, eq 3.176).
I'm not sure if it can be rewritten using the Bianchi identity ##R_{\mu[\nu\rho\sigma]}=0## you can check out this question+the answers for inspiration.
http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...t-killing-vector-and-riemann-curvature-tensor

Edit:
As Peter remarks below I was unclear, I verified that your result is a valid expression.
However I'm not sure whether your desired expression is valid or not and give some pointers (which are likely irrelevant since you already used them to reach the result so far).

dwellexity said:
Did you delete the last post?

Yes, because I realized I was misreading the index order in the second equation in your OP. Where did you obtain the first equation in your OP, the one you are trying to prove?

Added an edit, somehow it seems I forgot to clarify what I was actually saying.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, because I realized I was misreading the index order in the second equation in your OP. Where did you obtain the first equation in your OP, the one you are trying to prove?
It's a question in an assignment I have to do.

You should also be aware that there are many different sign conventions in different textbooks (or even different editions of the same textbook!) in the definition of the curvature tensor. This is very unfortunate, but you can't help it. There's a table of conventions in the famous book by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler.

dwellexity said:
It's a question in an assignment I have to do.

Then this whole thread should be in the homework forum. And you should have filled out the homework template. Please do not post assignment questions in the regular forums in future; that is against PF rules.

Edit: I have moved the thread to Advanced Physics Homework. dwellexity, please post the actual question from your assignment.

What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical operation that is used to measure how a vector field changes as it moves along a given manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the manifold in order to properly account for the change in direction and magnitude of the vector.

What is a Killing vector?

A Killing vector is a type of vector field that preserves the metric tensor of a given manifold. This means that the vector field does not change the distance between points on the manifold, making it a symmetry of the geometry.

What is the covariant derivative of a Killing vector?

The covariant derivative of a Killing vector is a measure of how the vector field changes as it moves along the manifold while preserving the metric tensor. It is a combination of the regular covariant derivative and the Lie derivative, and is used to study the symmetries of a manifold.

What is the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a manifold. It measures how vectors change as they are transported around the manifold, and is an important tool in understanding the geometry of a space.

How are the covariant derivative of a Killing vector and the Riemann tensor related?

The covariant derivative of a Killing vector can be used to compute the Riemann tensor. Specifically, the commutator of the covariant derivative of a Killing vector and the covariant derivative of any vector gives the Riemann tensor multiplied by the Killing vector. This relationship is known as the Killing equation and is an important tool in studying symmetries and curvature on a manifold.