Covariant derivative of Ricci scalar causing me grief

So there is no disagreement, just a typo in your calculation. In summary, the confusion in the conversation was caused by a typo in the calculation of the Bianchi identity, which was resolved by correctly indexing the derivative operator.
ft_c
Hi all

I'm having trouble understanding what I'm missing here. Basically, if I write the Ricci scalar as the contracted Ricci tensor, then take the covariant derivative, I get something that disagrees with the Bianchi identity:

\begin{align*}
R&=g^{\mu\nu}R_{\mu\nu}\\
\Rightarrow \nabla R&=\nabla(g^{\mu\nu}R_{\mu\nu})\\
&=\nabla(g^{\mu\nu})R_{\mu\nu}+g^{\mu\nu}\nabla(R_{\mu\nu})\\
&=g^{\mu\nu}\nabla(R_{\mu\nu})\\
g_{\mu\nu}\nabla R&=g_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu}\nabla(R_{\mu\nu})\\
&=4\nabla(R_{\mu\nu})\\
\Rightarrow \nabla(R_{\mu\nu}-\tfrac{1}{4}g_{\mu\nu} R)&=0
\end{align*}
whereas the contracted Bianchi identity is
$$\nabla(R_{\mu\nu}-\tfrac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}R)=0$$

If anyone could let me know what's going wrong here that would be much appreciated! Thanks very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You are multiplying with ##g_{\mu\nu}## when you already have ##\mu## and ##\nu## as dummy indices in your expression and then you are contracting the wrong ##\mu## and ##\nu##. This is a very common student mistake.

Likes Pencilvester
Orodruin said:
You are multiplying with ##g_{\mu\nu}## when you already have ##\mu## and ##\nu## as dummy indices in your expression and then you are contracting the wrong ##\mu## and ##\nu##. This is a very common student mistake.
Thanks Orodruin! I've actually already tried with different indices already, and I got the same thing, maybe you can take a look?
First write
$$g_{\mu\nu}R=g_{\mu\nu}g^{\rho\sigma}R_{\rho\sigma}$$
Covariant derivative
\begin{align*}
\nabla(g_{\mu\nu}R)&=\nabla(g_{\mu\nu}g^{\rho\sigma}R_{\rho\sigma})\\
g_{\mu\nu}\nabla R&=g_{\mu\nu}g^{\rho\sigma}\nabla R_{\rho\sigma}
\end{align*}

But $$\nabla R_{\rho\sigma} = \tfrac{1}{2}g_{\rho\sigma}\nabla R$$ from the Bianchi identity, so

\begin{align*}
g_{\mu\nu}\nabla R&=g_{\mu\nu}g^{\rho\sigma}(\tfrac{1}{2}g_{\rho\sigma}\nabla R)\\
&=\tfrac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}g^{\rho\sigma}g_{\rho\sigma}\nabla R\\
&=2g_{\mu\nu}\nabla R
\end{align*}

Can you see what's going wrong here? Thanks!

I'm just an amateur at this stuff, but maybe you need to index your derivative operator? So the second Bianchi identity ends up looking like:
$$\nabla^{a} (R_{ab} - \frac{1}{2}Rg_{ab}) = 0$$
or
$$\nabla_{a} (R^{ab} - \frac{1}{2}Rg^{ab}) = 0$$

So in post #3 above, the Bianchi identity should read:
$$\nabla^{\rho} R_{\rho\sigma} = \tfrac{1}{2}g_{\rho\sigma}\nabla^{\rho} R$$
but the covariant derivative line will read:
$$g_{\mu\nu}\nabla^{\mu} R=g_{\mu\nu}g^{\rho\sigma}\nabla^{\mu} R_{\rho\sigma}$$
or at least something where the index on ##\nabla## is not ##\rho##. So the pattern of indices doesn't allow for the substitution you made in that post. Instead, you'll get:
$$2\nabla^{\mu} R_{\mu\nu} =g_{\mu\nu}g^{\rho\sigma}\nabla^{\mu} R_{\rho\sigma} = \nabla^{\mu}Rg_{\mu\nu}$$
which is just the Bianchi identity again.

Likes Orodruin

What is the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar?

The covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar is a mathematical concept used in the study of differential geometry and general relativity. It represents the rate of change of the Ricci scalar with respect to a particular direction or coordinate system. It is closely related to the curvature of spacetime and plays a crucial role in Einstein's field equations.

Why does the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar cause grief?

The covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar can cause grief because it is a complex mathematical concept that requires a deep understanding of differential geometry and tensor calculus. It can be challenging to calculate and manipulate, and even small mistakes can lead to major errors in calculations. Additionally, the concept itself can be difficult to grasp for those who are not well-versed in advanced mathematics.

How is the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar used in physics?

The covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar is used in the field of general relativity to study the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of massive objects under the influence of gravity. It is a crucial component of Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

What are some real-world applications of the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar?

The covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar has many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and aerospace engineering. It is used to model the behavior of objects in space, calculate the trajectories of spacecraft, and understand the effects of gravity on massive celestial bodies. It also has applications in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the expansion of the universe.

Are there any challenges or limitations to using the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar?

While the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar is a powerful mathematical tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied in the context of general relativity and may not accurately describe the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as near singularities. Additionally, the calculations involved can be complex and time-consuming, making it challenging to apply in certain practical scenarios. However, despite these limitations, the covariant derivative of the Ricci scalar remains a fundamental concept in the study of gravity and spacetime curvature.