Cp2.63 find the initial velocity

In summary: Unless the "3" carries units of distance. I've seen this "unit drop" often when moving Physics concepts to Mathematics.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
cp2.63. The acceleration of a particle is given by
$$a(t)=-2.00 \, m/s^2 +3.00 \, m/s^3.$$
a. find the initial velocity $v_0$ such that the particle will have the same x-coordinate at $t=4.00\, s$ as it had at $t=0$.
b. What will be the velocity at $t=4.00 s$

ok sorry but I don't even know step one...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
a. find the initial velocity $v_0$ such that the particle will have the same x-coordinate at $t=4.00\, s$ as it had at $t=0$.

Well, start from the beginning:
\(\displaystyle v(t) - v(0) = \int_0^t a(t') ~ dt'\)

\(\displaystyle x(t) - x(0) = \int_0^t v(t') ~ dt'\)

Once you get that then go ahead and set x(0) = x(4) and see what you need to have for v(0).

-Dan

I would think that "step one" would be to recognize that "-2.0 m/s2+ 3.0 m/s2" is just 1.0 m/s2! Then use, as Topsquark suggests, that velocity is the "anti-derivative" of acceleration and distance moved is the "anti-derivative" of velocity.

HallsofIvy said:
I would think that "step one" would be to recognize that "-2.0 m/s2+ 3.0 m/s2" is just 1.0 m/s2! Then use, as Topsquark suggests, that velocity is the "anti-derivative" of acceleration and distance moved is the "anti-derivative" of velocity.
so would it be this?
$\displaystyle \int_0^t v(t') ~ dt' =\int_0^4 t\, dt $

karush said:

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, I have to ask this, then, before we go further. Is the acceleration -2.00 m/s^2 + 3.00 m/s^3 or -2.00 m/s^2 + 3.00 m/s^2 ?

-Dan

ok let's drop this post there might be a typo in this..

I think the velocity is *actually* non-linear. I expect that there is a jerk in the progression of cause to effect. Likely the time is missing in the second term. With a time factor the particle will wibble and wobble.
The unit of the second term is $\text{m}/\text{s}^3$ after all.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I think the velocity is *actually* non-linear. I expect that there is a jerk in the progression of cause to effect. Likely the time is missing in the second term. With a time factor the particle will wibble and wobble.
The unit of the second term is $\text{m}/\text{s}^3$ after all.

yes the OP equation is correct I looked up in the book

however not real sure how a plot of this would look like would
$y=-2x^2+3x^3$ on desmos give us the graph?

[DESMOS]advanced: {"version":7,"graph":{"showGrid":false,"xAxisStep":1,"squareAxes":false,"viewport":{"xmin":-1.481,"ymin":-1.718,"xmax":12,"ymax":1000}},"expressions":{"list":[{"type":"expression","id":"graph1","color":"#2d70b3","latex":"y=-2x^2+3x^3\\ \\left\\{0\\le x\\le6\\right\\}"}]}}[/DESMOS]

Last edited:
karush said:
yes the OP equation is correct I looked up in the book

It cannot be correct.
It says:
$$a(t)=-2.00 \, \text{m}/\text{s}^2 +3.00 \, \text{m}/\text{s}^3$$
But we cannot add $\text{m}/\text{s}^2$ to $\text{m}/\text{s}^3$.
It does not make sense to split the terms like that either.

Likely it should be:
$$a(t)=-2.00 \, m/s^2 +3.00 \, m/s^3\cdot t$$

ok let's work with that
its basically a learning problem anyway

so is the reason you do not have t in the first term is bc that is the acceleration at t=0

Klaas van Aarsen said:
It cannot be correct.
It says:
$$a(t)=-2.00 \, \text{m}/\text{s}^2 +3.00 \, \text{m}/\text{s}^3$$
But we cannot add $\text{m}/\text{s}^2$ to $\text{m}/\text{s}^3$.
It does not make sense to split the terms like that either.

Likely it should be:
$$a(t)=-2.00 \, m/s^2 +3.00 \, m/s^3\cdot t$$
Unless the "3" carries units of distance. I've seen this "unit drop" often when moving Physics concepts to Mathematics.

-Dan

1. What is Cp2.63?

Cp2.63 is a scientific notation commonly used in physics to represent the specific heat capacity of a substance.

2. How is Cp2.63 calculated?

Cp2.63 is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by its mass and the change in temperature. The resulting value is then multiplied by 2.63.

3. What does finding the initial velocity mean?

Finding the initial velocity refers to determining the starting speed of an object in motion. It is an important factor in calculating the trajectory and future motion of the object.

4. Why is finding the initial velocity important?

Finding the initial velocity is important because it allows scientists to accurately predict the motion and behavior of objects. It is also a key component in many equations and formulas used in physics.

5. How can I find the initial velocity using Cp2.63?

To find the initial velocity using Cp2.63, you will need to know the mass and specific heat capacity of the object, as well as the amount of heat energy applied and the change in temperature. You can then use the formula Cp2.63 = Q/(mΔT) to calculate the initial velocity.