Crackpot employers or something wrong with me?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter wukunlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crackpot
In summary, my previous supervisors would come up with "great ideas" without any feasibility or practicality checks, and would just want them implemented without any thought to the consequences. This resulted in me having to resign due to mental and physical stress. However, this isn't always the case in every job, and it's important to be aware of this before accepting any offer. My previous supervisors would come up with "great ideas" without any feasibility or practicality checks, and would just want them implemented without any thought to the consequences. This resulted in me having to resign due to mental and physical stress. However, this isn't always the case in every job, and it's important to be aware of this before accepting any offer.
wukunlin
Gold Member
OK, I'll do my best to prevent this post from looking like a rant...

So, I resigned from my previous job in July, making the second resignation in 5 months. The reason being I couldn't live with my supervisors dishing out orders without considering the feasibility at all. For two years, I keep seeing people up there kept having "great ideas" and throwing them down to whoever that has to listen to them and go "implement them." Most of them time I could immediately see practicality issue to these "great ideas," and when I try to discuss about them the reply is typically, "I don't care, I just want results." The most iconic example was that one morning, we got a complaint by another department saying our night shift staff were too busy to help them out on some emergency issue. My supervisor's great idea was to increase number of night shift staff from 2 to 6. I was like dude, we have 4 people in total, and that is including the day shift...

Anyways, my question is, is this something I just have to live with in any job I do? Or did I have poor decision or bad luck with my job selection in the past?
FYI I spent over a year in a manufacturing company, the most recent one was a start up and wants to do R&D.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chances are not every job will be like that. However it's preferable to assume that it will always be like that.

I could go on and on about poor decisions made by supervisors and so on. But who am I to judge? Just keep your head down and do what they want until you're in a position to make the decisions. - My 2 cents :p.

Not all companies are like that. So you had only two positions in a short time. Maybe you are looking to the wrong companies for yourself. Maybe something about your qualifications fits you to this type of company and you have not found those different kinds of companies yet.

wukunlin said:
. My supervisor's great idea was to increase number of night shift staff from 2 to 6. I was like dude, we have 4 people in total, and that is including the day shift...
What is wrong with that? It sounds to me like he is asking you to hire at least 8 people.

Likes russ_watters, NTL2009 and arivero
Dale said:
What is wrong with that? It sounds to me like he is asking you to hire at least 8 people.

@Dale, it sounded to me that the OP was being asked to take all 4 people and have them do both day and night shifts, plus hire 2 more people.

@wukunlin, could you clarify?

@wukunlin , I'm curious what industries you were employed in. Also, how large are the organizations you worked for -- was it a large company, a small company, a start-up? It's possible that your particular experiences in dictatorial management policies may be more common in certain industries than others.

Also, what country are you currently living/working in? Your profile indicates that you are from China, but your earlier posts indicate that you studied in New Zealand, if I'm not mistaken.

StatGuy2000 said:
@Dale, it sounded to me that the OP was being asked to take all 4 people and have them do both day and night shifts, plus hire 2 more people.

@wukunlin, could you clarify?
He simply had no clue how many people we had. He wanted to see 4 more people appear magically that night

StatGuy2000 said:
@wukunlin , I'm curious what industries you were employed in. Also, how large are the organizations you worked for -- was it a large company, a small company, a start-up? It's possible that your particular experiences in dictatorial management policies may be more common in certain industries than others.

Also, what country are you currently living/working in? Your profile indicates that you are from China, but your earlier posts indicate that you studied in New Zealand, if I'm not mistaken.
1.5 years in a 10000+ people manufacturing (consumer electronics) company, this is where the said example occurred
and then several months in a start-up of 5 people, the boss wanted to set up an IC design company

You're right about my profile, I grew up in NZ and came to China. It turned out I prefer busy and lively cities. o0)

1. What are some signs that my employer may be a "crackpot"?

Some signs that your employer may be a "crackpot" include: constantly changing expectations or goals, making unrealistic promises, displaying erratic or unstable behavior, and not following through on commitments or promises.

2. How can I determine if my employer's behavior is just eccentric or actually harmful?

If your employer's behavior is causing harm to you or others in the workplace, it is not just eccentric but potentially dangerous. Examples of harmful behavior could include discrimination, harassment, or creating a toxic work environment.

3. What should I do if I suspect my employer is a "crackpot"?

If you suspect your employer is a "crackpot," it is important to document any concerning behavior and bring it to the attention of HR or a higher-up in the company. It may also be helpful to speak with a trusted colleague or seek advice from a lawyer.

4. Can I be fired for speaking out against my "crackpot" employer?

In most cases, employers cannot legally fire an employee for speaking out against them. However, it is important to understand your rights and any potential consequences before taking action.

5. Is there something wrong with me if I keep encountering "crackpot" employers?

No, there is likely nothing wrong with you if you keep encountering "crackpot" employers. Unfortunately, there are many unscrupulous or unstable individuals in positions of power, and it is not a reflection of your character or abilities if you encounter them in your career.