CE Graduate School - Advice Needed

In summary, the person is a senior at a small state university with a BS in CS, and is planning to apply for graduate school in Fall 2012. They are worried about their "stats" and whether they should apply for a Master of engineering in CE at Texas A&M or go for a non-thesis degree. Their overall GPA is 3.4, CS GPA is 3.6, and they have no research experience or work experience related to CS/CE/research. They have only failed two classes in the past, but have retaken them and improved their grades. They feel confident about their GRE scores and have moderate to good letters of recommendation from professors who earned PhDs from TAMU. The person is unsure
EvGa
A little background first. I'm a Senior at a small state university and will graduate in May with a BS in CS. Last Spring I finally decided that I really do want to further my education and continue on to graduate school. I'd love to attend Texas A&M for a Master of engineering in CE, but I feel like my "stats" are really poor and worried I'm just wasting my time... I know TAMU is not a top 10 or even 20 CE school so maybe that will help me...

I want to apply for the Fall 2012 semester.

-Overall GPA: 3.4
-CS GPA: 3.6
-Research: None (Some to be completed this semester and a final project next semester (too late for application process)
-Work experience: nothing related to CS/CE/Research

-Only failed classes: Calc I (as soph) and Calc II (as Junior). Retook both and made B's.
This was before I got serious with school... gpa near 2.5 at the time.

-GRE: Really good test taker and feel I can do really well, especially in the Q section.
-Epsilon Pi Upsilon
-Moderate to good LOR's from professors who earned PhD's from TAMU in the 70's and 80's

So, I'm pretty bummed about my application statistics. Nothing stands out. Should I just hope to blow them away with my letter of intent and show a strong will to do research? Or should I apply to the non-thesis degree that (supposedly) is less competitive?

Or... wait a year and apply after I have next semester research under my belt.

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: Thought I had more than one post on this forum. I guess I do more lurking than I thought.

EDIT 2: For those puzzled over failing calc I, I thought I was good enough in math to take it online without a professor. Ha!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, maybe if I simplify my question:

Should I apply this semester (given eval above) or wait a year so that I can further raise my GPA (maybe .1 on each), add research, and maybe some work experience.

How does applying twice work? In the event I applied this semester, was denied and tried again in a year? Sorry for the defeatist attitude, I'm just trying to be realistic with myself.

Related to CE Graduate School - Advice Needed

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a graduate school for Civil Engineering?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a graduate school for Civil Engineering are the program's accreditation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, and financial support.

2. How can I prepare for the application process for graduate school in Civil Engineering?

To prepare for the application process, you should research the requirements for each school, gather strong letters of recommendation, study for and take the GRE or other required exams, and work on your personal statement and resume.

3. Is it necessary to have an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering to apply for graduate school?

While most graduate programs in Civil Engineering do require an undergraduate degree in the same field, some schools may accept students with degrees in related fields such as environmental engineering or geology. It is best to check with each individual program for their specific requirements.

4. What are some career opportunities available for graduates with a degree in Civil Engineering?

Graduates with a degree in Civil Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in construction, infrastructure development, environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, research and development, and consulting.

5. How important is it to find a research focus or specialty within Civil Engineering during graduate school?

While it is not necessary to have a specific research focus or specialty during graduate school, it can be beneficial in terms of job prospects and future career opportunities. It is also important to choose a research focus that aligns with your interests and goals for the future.