Create a dust attracting piece of paper

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equipment to scan images through a feeder and the potential issue of dust build up. The speaker suggests using a negatively charged piece of paper to attract dust, but others point out the limitations of this solution such as the poor ability of paper to hold a charge. The conversation also raises questions about the direction of physics forums and the use of "buy signals" for products.
marcophys
I'm looking at equipment that scans an image through a feeder... evidently dust build up could be a problem.
Thinking of a piece of paper, that might attract dust, that could be run through it (I saw a vid of a piece of cleaning paper run through a system - I'm presuming it is 'dust attractive')..
... I rubbed a piece of cardboard aggressively, on cardboard.
Result: the rubbed cardboard picked up dust from a surface.

However... this may be fine for a small piece of cardboard, but is there a way to charge (negatively presumably) a piece of paper, say A5 or A4... without rubbing it?

(PS. Just encountered the pre-fix requirement for the first time - slightly fazed by this)

Physics news on Phys.org
marcophys said:
(I saw a vid of a piece of cleaning paper run through a system - I'm presuming it is 'dust attractive')

Can you just get some of those sheets? That seems like the most reliable way to go.

berkeman said:
Can you just get some of those sheets? That seems like the most reliable way to go.
Well that's one way of looking at the solution.....
But to be honest, it doesn't really address the physics at question, vis a vis 'physics forum'.
Rather, it fundamentally avoids the question.

What i was interested in, was learning how to charge a piece of paper, to attract dust.
Iit's a global issue, that can probably be solved by knowledge of physics.

I've always considered, that sharing questions, is as good as sharing answers.
Some questions have limited appeal... others have more global significance.
I think that this one is in the latter group.

Where are we going, with physics forums?
Do we just accept... or do we question?

... and are we encountering real life scenarios, and relating them to physics... or is the path set towards 'high school, grad, p grad' questions, that are to be regurgitated?

Is the requirement for a 'school pre-fix' a coincidence, or a new direction for physics forums?
This is the first time I've seen, a physics question, transformed into a 'buy signal' for a product.

Anyway... like a black sheep... I've raised those issues, for worthy reflection.
In the meantime... can anybody answer the question (for the benefit of all members viewing this topic)?

:)

LOL. I guess I should have prefaced my question with the comment that a charged piece of paper is a poor solution to the problem.

Quiz Question -- what are the 2 biggest problems with it?

Thanks for that... yes the preface would have helped considerably... no harm done :smile:

Is one of the reasons because paper is poor at holding a charge?

I believe that polyester is better.
or perhaps paper cannot hold the correct charge (-ve)

1. How does a dust attracting piece of paper work?

A dust attracting piece of paper works by using an electrostatic charge to attract dust particles. The surface of the paper is treated with a material that has a negative charge, which attracts positively charged dust particles.

2. What materials can be used to create a dust attracting piece of paper?

Materials such as graphite, carbon, or certain polymers can be used to create a dust attracting piece of paper. These materials have the ability to hold an electrostatic charge and attract dust particles.

3. Can a dust attracting piece of paper be reused?

Yes, a dust attracting piece of paper can be reused multiple times. However, the effectiveness may decrease over time as the charge on the surface of the paper diminishes. To recharge the paper, it can be rubbed against a material with an opposite charge, such as a plastic bag or a wool cloth.

4. How long does a dust attracting piece of paper last?

The lifespan of a dust attracting piece of paper varies depending on the materials used and the frequency of use. On average, it can last for several months before needing to be replaced or recharged.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a dust attracting piece of paper?

There are no major safety concerns when using a dust attracting piece of paper. However, it is important to avoid touching the treated surface with bare hands, as oils from the skin can interfere with the electrostatic charge. It is also recommended to keep the paper away from moisture or high humidity, as it can weaken the charge.