Create DIY Light Intensifier Using Disposable Materials

In summary, the device being created is meant to intensify the light directed at a light intensity sensor. It will consist of a tunnel made of aluminium foil with a lens at the end, placed 20 cm away from the light bulb and 5 cm away from the light sensor. However, since only one lens is allowed, the lens will only be able to concentrate parallel light to its focal point, with any other incident light angles being deviated. The suggestion is to remove the tunnel and use a parabolic mirror instead.
Zoe F
1. I am supposed to create a device that can intensify the light directed at a light intensity sensor. A small light bulb will be 25 cm away from the light sensor. My device is required to be 20cm long and placed in between the light bulb and the light sensor in order to make the light that is entering the light sensor to be more intense. How should my device look?I believe that by trapping the light through a tunnel and at the very end I could insert a magnifying glass as it is a converging lens. However, I am worried about the focal point. Is the focal point relevant? Should my magnifying glass be at a certain distance in order to intensify light or will it intensify the light regardless. I am allowed to use any disposable, recycable and household materials in order to create this device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is HOMEWORK you'll get design examples, selection and calculations are upto you.

Use a pipe with standard magnifying lenses at both ends.
The bulb should be at the focal point of the lens which will then allow the light to move parallely. This parallel light will hit the lens at the other end which will conc. it on the light sensor at its focal point.
OR
You can use a fibre optic cable for total internal reflection.

THESE PROCESSES ARE CONCENTRATION OF LIGHT NOT AMPLIFICATION!

amplification would require a much more complicated design.

Last edited:
Likes Zoe F
Rippetherocker said:
Since this is HOMEWORK you'll get design examples, selection and calculations are upto you.

Use a pipe with standard magnifying lenses at both ends.
The bulb should be at the focal point of the lens which will then allow the light to move parallely. This parallel light will hit the lens at the other end which will conc. it on the light sensor at its focal point.
OR
You can use a fibre optic cable for total internal reflection.

THESE PROCESSES ARE CONCENTRATION OF LIGHT NOT AMPLIFICATION!

amplification would require a much more complicated design.

Thank you, however I am only allowed one lens. So currently, I have created a tunnel using aluminium foil with the lens at the very end. Therefore, my light bulb is approximately 20 cm away from the lens and the light rays emitted from the light bulb travel through the tunnel and refract upon reaching the lens. The lens is placed 5 cm away from the light sensor, will this device be successful?

Zoe F said:
1. I am supposed to create a device that can intensify the light directed at a light intensity sensor. A small light bulb will be 25 cm away from the light sensor. My device is required to be 20cm long and placed in between the light bulb and the light sensor in order to make the light that is entering the light sensor to be more intense. How should my device look?I believe that by trapping the light through a tunnel and at the very end I could insert a magnifying glass as it is a converging lens. However, I am worried about the focal point. Is the focal point relevant? Should my magnifying glass be at a certain distance in order to intensify light or will it intensify the light regardless. I am allowed to use any disposable, recycable and household materials in order to create this device.

Zoe F said:
Thank you, however I am only allowed one lens. So currently, I have created a tunnel using aluminium foil with the lens at the very end. Therefore, my light bulb is approximately 20 cm away from the lens and the light rays emitted from the light bulb travel through the tunnel and refract upon reaching the lens. The lens is placed 5 cm away from the light sensor, will this device be successful?

Welcome to the PF.

Do you know how to draw ray tracing diagrams? You can use that technique to figure out what the shape of the reflecting tunnel should be. You should also look at how different telescope designs are put together to see if that gives you other ideas.

Zoe F said:

Listen Zoe If you HAVE to use only 1 lens remember that the standard lens conc only parallel light to its focal point. All other incident light angles will be deviated to nearabout.
So reflection in the tube will carry the light to the lens but not hit it parallely. The light will therefore be conc but not all at the focal point.
I would suggest removing the tube and using a parabolic mirror instead

Last edited:

1. What materials do I need to create a DIY light intensifier?

To create a DIY light intensifier, you will need a disposable material such as an empty plastic bottle, a piece of aluminum foil, a pair of scissors, and a light source (e.g. flashlight or candle).

2. How does a DIY light intensifier work?

A DIY light intensifier works by reflecting and focusing the light from a source onto a specific area, thereby increasing its brightness and intensity.

3. Can I use any type of disposable material for this project?

While an empty plastic bottle is the most commonly used material for a DIY light intensifier, you can also use other disposable materials such as a tin can, a milk carton, or even a piece of paper folded into a cone shape.

4. Is this project safe to do at home?

Yes, this project is safe to do at home as long as you handle the materials and tools carefully. It is recommended to have adult supervision when doing this project with children.

5. What are the other uses of a DIY light intensifier?

Apart from increasing the brightness and intensity of light, a DIY light intensifier can also be used for photography, as a reading light, or as a spotlight for small performances or presentations.