Creating a 4 Bit Calculator: Add, Subtract, Multiply & Divide

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a 4-bit binary calculator project and is having trouble with the multiplication and division circuits. They have found a complex circuit for the multiplication function and are wondering if there is a simpler way to implement it. They also ask for a general explanation of how a binary divider circuit works. The expert suggests techniques such as parallel multiplication and using pre-made integrated circuits to simplify the multiplication circuit. They also explain the concept of a binary divider circuit and suggest further research and consultation with experts for guidance.
ammar93
Hi!
This is a great forum and I've been using it for help for a while so thought I would finally sign up. Anyway my group is making a 4 bit binary calculator for a course in my second semester and we're am having a few issues. The main restriction is that we can only use basic gates to implement the circuits.The adder/subtractor circuit is covered and we have a general idea about the multiplication circuit, but haven't been able to figure out the division circuit at all.

Now my first question is related to the multiplication circuit. I was able to make my own 2 bit version but couldn't figure out 4 bit so after a bit of searching I came across this: http://sit.iitkgp.ernet.in/~coavl/images/cm.png
I don't quite understand how the carry forward works in this circuit though. There seem to be about 64 gates in this...and that would probably be kind of difficult to solder. So is there a way to simplify this circuit more? or at least to decrease the amount of ICs we would have to use?
Secondly, could someone give me a general idea of how a binary divider circuit would work? I've been searching for a long time but haven't come across anything that I can understand.

I'm really sorry for the wall of text but I'm quite confused about how those two functions are going to be implemented. Oh and sorry if this is in the wrong subforum.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your project with us! It sounds like you and your group are tackling a complex and interesting challenge. Let me try to address your questions about the multiplication and division circuits.

Firstly, for the multiplication circuit, I understand your concern about the number of gates and ICs required. The circuit you shared does seem quite complex, but it's important to remember that this is a 4-bit calculator, so it will naturally require more components than a simpler 2-bit version. However, there could be ways to optimize and simplify the circuit. I would suggest looking into techniques such as parallel multiplication, where multiple bits can be multiplied simultaneously, or using other types of gates such as XOR gates to reduce the overall number of components needed. Additionally, instead of building the circuit using individual gates, you could also consider using a pre-made integrated circuit that combines multiple gates into one package, which could save time and effort in the construction process.

As for the binary divider circuit, it works by repeatedly subtracting the divisor from the dividend until the remainder is smaller than the divisor. The number of subtractions performed corresponds to the quotient, and the final remainder is the remainder of the division. This process can be implemented using basic gates, but it may require some additional components and a more complex circuit compared to the adder/subtractor circuit. I would suggest doing some more research and possibly consulting with your course instructor or other experts in the field for guidance on how to approach this circuit.

I hope this helps to give you some ideas and direction for your project. Good luck with your 4-bit calculator and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions. Happy experimenting!

What is a 4 Bit Calculator?

A 4 Bit Calculator is a basic electronic device that can perform simple mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, using only 4 binary digits (bits) for each number.

How does a 4 Bit Calculator work?

A 4 Bit Calculator works by using binary logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, to manipulate the binary digits of the numbers being input. These gates are connected in specific ways to perform the desired mathematical operation. The result is then displayed in binary form.

What are the limitations of a 4 Bit Calculator?

A 4 Bit Calculator has limited capabilities compared to modern calculators, as it can only work with numbers up to 15 (1111 in binary). It also cannot handle negative numbers or decimal numbers.

How accurate is a 4 Bit Calculator?

A 4 Bit Calculator is accurate in terms of performing binary operations, but due to its limitations, it may not provide precise results for complex calculations. This is because it can only represent a limited range of numbers.

Can a 4 Bit Calculator be expanded to perform more operations?

Yes, a 4 Bit Calculator can be expanded to perform more operations by adding more binary digits to each number. For example, a 8 Bit Calculator can handle numbers up to 255 (11111111 in binary) and a 16 Bit Calculator can handle numbers up to 65,535 (1111111111111111 in binary).