Creating a Buffer pH of 9.23: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the conversation is about determining the volumes of 0.200 M HCOOH and 2.00 M NaOH needed to make a 500.0 mL buffer with a pH of 9.23. The individual has already determined the pH and the ratio of the weak conjugate base to weak acid, but there may be errors in their calculations. They are seeking clarification on the pKa value used and questioning the accuracy of their results.
CivilSigma
Hello, I have the following problem:

What volumes of 0.200 M HCOOH and 2.00 M NaOH would make 500.0 mL of a buffer with the pH of one made from 475 mL 0.200 M benzoic acid and 25 mL of 2.00 M NaOH?

I have determined that the pH of the buffer should be 9.23. Now, I am stuck on how I would assemble the buffer. Moreover, I determined that the ratio of the week conjugate base to week acid is 5.31 ( CH3COO / CH3COOH ).

What do I need to do next?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:
I have determined that the pH of the buffer should be 9.23.

I am afraid that's not what I got, What value of pKa for benzoic acid have you used? And how you got 9.23? Please show.

Moreover, I determined that the ratio of the week conjugate base to week acid is 5.31 ( CH3COO / CH3COOH ).

For the pH 9.23 that's orders of magnitude off. For the real pH of the buffer order of magnitude is OK, but the value is wrong. Besides, question asks for HCOOH, not CH3COOH (and the ratio is wrong for both acids).

1. How do I calculate the amount of buffer needed to achieve a pH of 9.23?

To calculate the amount of buffer needed, you will need to know the volume of your solution and the desired concentration of your buffer. Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to determine the ratio of weak acid and conjugate base needed, and then use the molar mass of each component to calculate the amount needed in grams.

2. Can I use any weak acid and conjugate base to create a buffer with a pH of 9.23?

No, not all combinations of weak acid and conjugate base will result in a buffer with a pH of 9.23. The pKa values of the weak acid and its conjugate base must be close to each other, and the pKa of the weak acid should be higher than 9.23. Some common buffers that can achieve a pH of 9.23 include borate buffer and carbonate buffer.

3. What is the best method for adjusting the pH of my buffer to 9.23?

The best method for adjusting the pH of your buffer to 9.23 is to use a pH meter and carefully add small amounts of a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide, until the desired pH is reached. It is important to stir the solution after each addition and allow time for the pH to stabilize before making further adjustments.

4. Can I prepare a stock solution of buffer with a pH of 9.23?

Yes, you can prepare a stock solution of buffer with a pH of 9.23 by using a concentrated solution of your weak acid and conjugate base. Calculate the amount of each component needed to create your desired concentration, and then dilute the stock solution to reach the desired volume.

5. How do I store my buffer with a pH of 9.23?

It is best to store your buffer with a pH of 9.23 in a sealed container at room temperature. Avoid exposure to light and extreme temperatures, as this can affect the stability and pH of the buffer. It is also recommended to make fresh buffer solutions periodically, as they can lose their effectiveness over time.