Creating a Variable Bend in a Function with Preserved Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses a function with a fixed bend and the desire to make the bend variable while maintaining certain properties. It suggests using a function with a parameter representing the curvature and discusses the possibility of naming the function as a sub-exponential or half-exponential function.
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
With a given function how to make a variable bend.
I have the following function: $$y = s-1 + exp (-ln (-1 / (s-1)) x)$$ with 0 < s < 1. For ##x = 0## you have ##y = s## and for ##x = 1## you have ##y = 0##. The function has a fixed bend, but now I want to make the bend variable, while the two properties, that for ##x = 0## you have ##y = s## and for ##x = 1##, ##y = 0##, should remain unchanged. How do I do that?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that equation from? Do you realize it can be simplified to ## y = (1-s)^x + s - 1 ##? What is 'bend'? If you mean you want a similar function with an increased radius of curvature, try ## y = (1-s)^{x^2} + s - 1 ##, although that has a very different behaviour for ## x < 0 ##. How do you think you could modify this to get a curve that is similar for any value of ## x ##?

Likes Delta2
I want a similar function with the same restrictions as described above with a parameter, say ##b##, representing the curvature.

Ad VanderVen said:
I want a similar function with the same restrictions as described above with a parameter, say ##b##, representing the curvature.
Have you looked at the function I suggested? How do you think you could incorporate the parameter ## b ## into it?

Yes, I looked at the function you suggested and the function $$s-1+(1-s)^{x^b}$$ with ## 0<b<1 ## would do perfectly. I cannot say how grateful I am..

What could you call such a function? Is it a special case of some well-known function?

I'm not a big fan of naming things: some people (and some educational cultures) get over-obsessed with naming and categorization.

I suppose you could call it a sub-exponential function (and for b = 0.5 a half-exponential function) but I have only seen this term used for increasing functions (i.e. ## s < -1 ##) so I think using that term in this context would not be helpful.

Likes jim mcnamara
@pbuk Anyway, thanks for the attempt.

1. How does temperature affect the bending of a variable?

The temperature of a variable can affect its bending properties in several ways. First, as the temperature increases, the material becomes more pliable and easier to bend. However, at extremely high temperatures, the material may become too soft and lose its ability to hold its shape. Additionally, changes in temperature can cause the material to expand or contract, which can impact its bending capabilities.

2. Is there a limit to how much a variable can bend?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a variable can bend. This limit is determined by the material's elasticity and the amount of force applied to it. If the force exceeds the material's elasticity, it may break or permanently deform.

3. What factors influence the bending of a variable?

Several factors can influence the bending of a variable, including the material's composition, thickness, and shape. The type of force applied, such as tension or compression, can also impact the bending of a variable. Additionally, external factors like temperature and humidity can affect the material's flexibility and bending capabilities.

4. Can a variable be bent in multiple directions?

Yes, a variable can be bent in multiple directions. The direction in which a variable can bend depends on its shape and the type of force applied. For example, a flat sheet of material can be bent in any direction, while a cylindrical object can only bend in one direction along its length.

5. How can I control the bending of a variable?

The bending of a variable can be controlled through several methods. One way is by choosing the right material for the desired level of flexibility. Another way is by adjusting the temperature or humidity of the environment. Additionally, applying force at specific points or using tools like clamps or molds can also help control the bending of a variable.