Creating a way to protect a peep inside a vacuum chamber for a demonstration

In summary, this idea could work if you can fit a peep inside the neck of a mason jar and seal the lid. However, it is risky because the vacuum chamber could explode.
fires21
We have all seen the marshmallow peep inside a vacuum chamber grow and them shrink. I want to convey the importance of Space suits and protecting the human body by creating a sort of "space suit" for a peep to wear or get placed inside of while in a vacuum chamber, so it is protected from the growing process.
My first idea is to place the peep inside a small air tight container, maybe one with a latch, to prevent the air from escaping. Yet, since I do not have a vacuum chamber to test this theory out, I am unsure if this would actually work, or if the vacuum would be ale to suck all of this air out also.
If you have any other ideas, please let me know because I am stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,
welcome to PF :smile:

what is a peep ?

tech99 said:
I think it is bit risky because the chamber will be under internal pressure and might explode.
Under what circumstances will a vacuum chamber be under internal pressure?

jbriggs444 said:
Under what circumstances will a vacuum chamber be under internal pressure?
Not the vacuum chamber but the space suit or housing containing the peep. It will be at atmospheric pressure inside and will have near zero pressure on its outside.

Small screw top jar . Large jam jar . Long piece of polythene drain pipe . Piston and puller . Tape .

Last edited:
fires21 said:
I am unsure if this would actually work, or if the vacuum would be able to suck all of this air out also.
You just need an airtight container strong enough to hold one atmosphere. That's pretty easy.

I assume you aree using a bell jar? A small bell jar in the larger one will do the trick.

Vanadium 50 said:
I assume you aree using a bell jar? A small bell jar in the larger one will do the trick.
Usually a bell jar is designed to resist pressure on the outside, not the inside. The base is often sealed using greased flange resting on a glass plate. With positive pressure inside the jar, this seal would be forced apart. Also, if the jar broke and caused an accident, someone is going to be liable.

The STEM program will be purchasing a vacuum chamber to run this experiment to show youth and get them interested in STEM fields. I was trying to find the best way and equipment to use. It has to be see-through, so I was considering either a bell jar or an acrylic outside chamber. For the "space suit" a glass jar, but was afraid it the "space suit" might break. Thanks for the replys

tech99 said:
Usually a bell jar is designed to resist pressure on the outside, not the inside. The base is often sealed using greased flange resting on a glass plate. With positive pressure inside the jar, this seal would be forced apart. Also, if the jar broke and caused an accident, someone is going to be liable.

This was an issue I was concerned with, I am looking into maybe using an acrylic vacuum chamber rather than a glass one.

Nugatory said:
You just need an airtight container strong enough to hold one atmosphere. That's pretty easy.

I was thinking about just using one of those glass canning jars, or would it be safer to use some sort of acrylic or strong plastic jars?In theory, should this idea work?

I think a home-brew bottle would work (if you can fit the peep through the neck). They can hold some pressure for carbonation. Mason jars aren't intended to hold positive pressure.

Shove a couple of peeps inside a plastic soda bottle and put a small hole in the lid to let the air out?

1. How can a peep be protected inside a vacuum chamber?

To protect a peep inside a vacuum chamber, a specialized container or enclosure must be designed and built. This container should be airtight and made of materials that can withstand the high pressure and low temperature of the vacuum chamber. It should also have a viewing window or opening for the peep to be visible during the demonstration.

2. What materials are best for creating a protective container for the peep?

The best materials for creating a protective container for the peep are those that are strong and durable, such as stainless steel or glass. These materials can withstand the pressure and temperature inside the vacuum chamber and will not break or shatter easily.

3. How can the peep be kept from floating in the vacuum chamber?

To prevent the peep from floating in the vacuum chamber, it can be attached to a secure and stable object using a string or wire. This will keep the peep in place and prevent it from being affected by the low gravity conditions inside the chamber.

4. Is it safe to expose a peep to a vacuum environment?

Yes, it is safe to expose a peep to a vacuum environment as long as it is properly protected inside a container. However, it is important to avoid exposing the peep to extreme changes in pressure, as this can cause damage to its structure.

5. How can the peep be removed from the vacuum chamber after the demonstration?

The peep can be removed from the vacuum chamber by carefully opening the container and releasing the pressure gradually to avoid any sudden changes. Once the pressure has equalized, the peep can be safely removed and returned to its normal environment.