Creating an electromagnetic board for levitation

In summary: You could also try using a hoverboard with a permanent magnet in the bottom that creates a zero-g force.
Brendan Staley
I am wondering if it is at all possible to create a magnetic board which is capable of repelling magnets. I am looking up magnetic levitation and would like to make a DIY version at home. Any tips/tricks to make this.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
reminds me of this video:

bsheikho said:
reminds me of this video:

Problem with this one the magnet is underneath (or is it above later in the video?) and is at a very cold cold temperature.
This is called Flux pinning, and it is not just levitation it locks. What exactly is the problem? to have a pin you need certain materials and loads of energy output from the disc itself.

There is a different concept where the magnets are on the board in a quad-copter configuration, but is limited to be used only over conductive surfaces. There is/was one built by Hendo but is unstable, and very heavy making it hard to control and it wasn't a DIY hack. (also very noisy)

Either way it would be quite a bill to try and prototyping it. Unless there was another way to make a overboard I am unaware of.

DarkBabylon said:
Problem with this one the magnet is underneath (or is it above later in the video?) and is at a very cold cold temperature.
This is called Flux pinning, and it is not just levitation it locks. What exactly is the problem? to have a pin you need certain materials and loads of energy output from the disc itself.

There is a different concept where the magnets are on the board in a quad-copter configuration, but is limited to be used only over conductive surfaces. There is/was one built by Hendo but is unstable, and very heavy making it hard to control and it wasn't a DIY hack. (also very noisy)

Either way it would be quite a bill to try and prototyping it. Unless there was another way to make a overboard I am unaware of.
I'm in the process of designing a deployable structure, however to replicate zero gravity deployment I am exploring options to remove friction. Therefore I am looking at the possibility of levitation through magnets. I've seen that been done, really interesting however as you've said not practical in my case.
I was hoping to create a magnetic surface in which i could have an opposing magnet to create a repel force? Just wondering if creating that sheet is possible?
Thanks

Brendan Staley said:
I was hoping to create a magnetic surface in which i could have an opposing magnet to create a repel force? Just wondering if creating that sheet is possible?
You could construct a surface made up of tens of thousands of electromagnets. Arrange for electronics to sense the location of your hoverboard and cause current to go to just those solenoids directly beneath and around it so they repel the permanent magnets embedded in the hoverboard.

It might be possible to create a dynamic magnetic "well" with electromagnets just outside the periphery of the board's footprint exerting a stronger repulsion to afford the rider stability—where movement in any direction would encounter a user-selectable degree of resistance.

You have options. If you have access to cryogenics, then you can go the flux pinning method. Or you can use an AC magnetic field to generate eddy currents in a conductor (like the Hendo board). It doesn't eliminate friction (I think there's some magnetic friction) but it does reduce it to a low level.

1. How does an electromagnetic board for levitation work?

The board works by utilizing the principle of magnetic levitation, also known as maglev. This involves using strong electromagnets to create a magnetic field that repels against the Earth's magnetic field, causing the board to levitate.

2. What materials are needed to create an electromagnetic board for levitation?

The main materials needed are a strong power source, electromagnets, conductive materials, and a control system. The power source is typically a battery or power supply, while the electromagnets can be made from copper wire and iron cores. Conductive materials, such as aluminum or copper, are used to create the board's surface, and the control system is responsible for managing the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. How much weight can an electromagnetic board for levitation support?

The weight capacity of the board depends on several factors, such as the strength of the electromagnets and the size of the board. Generally, a small electromagnetic board can support up to a few pounds, while larger ones can support heavier weights. However, the design and construction of the board also play a significant role in its weight capacity.

4. Is it safe to use an electromagnetic board for levitation?

As with any scientific experiment, safety precautions should be taken when creating and using an electromagnetic board for levitation. The strong magnetic fields generated can interfere with electronic devices and pacemakers, so it's essential to keep them away from the board. Additionally, the board's construction should be sturdy and stable to prevent accidents or injuries.

5. Can an electromagnetic board for levitation be used for transportation purposes?

Yes, there have been successful attempts at using maglev technology for transportation, such as the maglev trains in Japan and China. However, creating a large-scale electromagnetic board for levitation for personal transportation would require advanced technology and significant resources, so it is not currently a viable option for most people.