Creating Artificial Black Hole: Force Requirements

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical creation of an artificial 1000kg black hole in deep space and the potential force/power/energy required for such an experiment. It also raises questions about the feasibility and limitations of creating such a small black hole and the role of quantum gravity in the collapse process. The conversation ends with the conclusion that the question is too vague to be answered without further clarification.
Devin-M
In a hypothetical deep space experiment in the distant future with appropriate safety precautions in place, how much force/power/energy would be required to create an artificial 1000kg black hole? I haven’t the faintest clue & this isn’t for homework. Where would I even begin looking for an answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Devin-M said:
Where would I even begin looking for an answer?
Before doing that, you need to make the question well-defined. How is this proposed experiment going to create a black hole?

To help clarify your thinking, you might want to look up literature on primordial black holes.

I was assuming some type of implosion would be involved acting on a spherical mass.

Devin-M said:
I was assuming some type of implosion would be involved acting on a spherical mass.
How is the implosion created?

(In the case of primordial black holes, the implosion would be created by large enough density fluctuations in the early universe.)

What Peter is likely getting at is that the black hole is smaller than an atom. How do you use atoms to squeeze it if it's smaller than one?

Devin-M said:
In a hypothetical deep space experiment in the distant future with appropriate safety precautions in place, how much force/power/energy would be required to create an artificial 1000kg black hole? I haven’t the faintest clue & this isn’t for homework. Where would I even begin looking for an answer?
You could start with a "hot wheels" car crusher, available on Amazon for £141.36:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00158SH3I/

1649625083943.png

• Haha
Likes Sagittarius A-Star, russ_watters and berkeman
Don't we also have the problem that for such a small black hole (##R_S\approx 10^{-24}\mathrm{m}##) you'd need quantum gravity to describe the collapse process, anyway? Or are we just assuming classical gravity is fine for the sake of argument?

Likes PeroK
There's lots of problems. Such a black hole will evaporate in 10^-18 seconds, so whether it "exists" or not is a subject for debate.

The question it reminds me of "Can God create a stone so heavy he can't lift it?"

Likes berkeman
How much mass does it need to have where if you throw a big enough cloud of particles at it, it persists?

How long is a piece of string?

Devin-M said:
How much mass does it need to have where if you throw a big enough cloud of particles at it, it persists?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you mean, is there a minimum possible mass for a black hole, classical GR, which is the subject matter in this particular forum, does not have any such limit.

The OP question is too vague to be answered and has not been clarified. Thread closed.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star collapses in on itself.

How can we create an artificial black hole?

Creating an artificial black hole is currently not possible with our current technology. However, some scientists have proposed using ultra-high energy particle collisions or high-powered lasers to create conditions similar to those found in a black hole.

What are the force requirements for creating an artificial black hole?

The force requirements for creating an artificial black hole would be immense. It would require a tremendous amount of energy, equivalent to the energy output of multiple stars, to create the conditions necessary for a black hole to form.

What are the potential risks of creating an artificial black hole?

One potential risk of creating an artificial black hole is that it could grow and consume surrounding matter, including the Earth. Additionally, the immense amount of energy required to create it could have unforeseen consequences on the environment and potentially cause harm.

What are the potential benefits of creating an artificial black hole?

Creating an artificial black hole could provide valuable insights into the nature of gravity and the behavior of matter in extreme conditions. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology, such as better understanding of space-time and the development of new propulsion systems.