Creating the Electric Octupole Tensor of a cubic electric octupole

In summary, an array of charges was created, where the first three entries of each column are the x,y, and z coordinates. The last entry in each column is the charge. The Electric Quadrupole Tensor is defined in index notation as follows, where ##r_{i,\ell}, r_{j,\ell},r_{k'ell}## could be anyone of the cartesian coordinates of the ##\ell##'th charge. My code creates Primed Coordinates with charge and the Electric Octupole Tensor.
PhDeezNutz
TL;DR Summary
Hello, I want to create an electric Octupole Tensor of the charge distribution below. I set the side length of the cube equal to 1 and the charge equal to fundamental charge (because why not). Here are the details. My approach is to use four nested for loops. 3 for the coordinates. 1 for the charge. With the charge for loop being the innermost for loop.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 10.58.24 AM.png
I created an array, where the first three entries of each column are the x,y, and z coordinates. The last entry in each column is the charge. I called this array PCQ.
l/2l/2-l/2-l/2-l/2l/2l/2-l/2
-l/2l/2l/2-l/2-l/2-l/2l/2l/2
l/2l/2l/2l/2-l/2-l/2-l/2-l/2
q-qq-qq-qq-q
The Electric Quadrupole Tensor is defined in index notation as follows, where ##r_{i,\ell}, r_{j,\ell},r_{k'ell}## could be anyone of the cartesian coordinates of the ##\ell##'th charge.

##Q_{ijk} = \sum_{\ell}^{8} \sum_{i,j,k}^{3} q_{\ell} r_{i ,\ell} r_{j ,\ell} r_{k ,\ell}##

My code is

%1) Define the grid. n = 100;rmax = 1200;x = linspace(-rmax,rmax,n);y = linspace(-rmax,rmax,n);z = linspace(-rmax,rmax,n); [X,Y,Z] = meshgrid(x,y,z); %2) Need to define constants c = 3*10^(8);epsilon = 8.85*(10^(-12));mu = (4*pi)*((10)^(-7)); q = 1.602*(10^(-19)); %fundamental chargel = 1; %side length of cubel2 = 0.5*l; %half side length of cubek = 0.001*5*pi;omega = k*sqrt(mu*epsilon); %3) Create Primed Coordinates with charge pcx = [l2,l2,-l2,-l2,-l2,l2,l2,-l2];pcy = [-l2,l2,l2,-l2,-l2,-l2,l2,l2];pcz = [l2,l2,l2,l2,-l2,-l2,-l2,-l2];pcq = [q,-q,q,-q,q,-q,q,-q]; PCQ = vertcat(pcx,pcy,pcz,pcq); %4) Create the Electric Octupole Tensor Q = zeros(3,3,3); for i = 1:3 for j = 1:3 for k = 1:3 Q(i,j,k) = 0; for i1 = 1:length(PCQ) Q(i,j,k) = Q(i,j,k) + Q(i,j,k) + PCQ(4,i1)*PCQ(i,i1)*PCQ(i,i1)*PCQ(j,i1)*PCQ(k,i1); end end endend

My output is

Image 3-23-20 at 11.14 AM.jpg

I have no idea if this is right. And calculating these moments by hand would simply be too difficult. I am unnerved somewhat by each "column" of each "page" having the same entry. I am hopeful that someone with more experience, knowledge, and intuition could take a brief look at my code and tell me if it is correct or if it needs to be corrected (and how to correct it)

Thanks in advance, for some reason the latex is not rendering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I spotted an error in my code. I had

Q(i,j,k) = Q(i,j,k) + Q(i,j,k) + PC(4,i1)*PC(i,i1)*PC(j,i1)*PC(k,i1)

It should be

Q(i,j,k) = Q(i,j,k) + PC(4,i1)*PC(i,i1)*PC(j,i1)*PC(k,i1)

My output is
Image 3-23-20 at 11.29 AM.jpg
I still have no idea if this is right and what sanity checks I should do.

I would think that some of the entries should be positive.

1. What is an electric octupole tensor?

An electric octupole tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of electric charge within a molecule or atom. It describes the shape and orientation of the electric field around the molecule or atom.

2. Why is it important to create the electric octupole tensor of a cubic electric octupole?

The electric octupole tensor is important because it provides valuable information about the electronic structure and properties of a molecule or atom. Understanding the electric octupole tensor can help scientists predict and explain the chemical and physical behavior of these systems.

3. How is the electric octupole tensor of a cubic electric octupole created?

The electric octupole tensor of a cubic electric octupole is created through a combination of experimental measurements and computational methods. The experimental measurements involve measuring the electric field around the molecule or atom using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. The computational methods involve solving mathematical equations to determine the distribution of electric charge within the molecule or atom.

4. What are some applications of the electric octupole tensor?

The electric octupole tensor has many applications in chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used to study and understand the behavior of molecules and atoms in various environments, such as in chemical reactions, in different phases of matter, and under different external stimuli. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as in the design of electronic devices and sensors.

5. Can the electric octupole tensor be measured experimentally?

Yes, the electric octupole tensor can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and electric field gradient measurements. However, these measurements can be challenging and require specialized equipment and techniques. Computational methods are also used to calculate the electric octupole tensor, which can provide valuable insights into the electronic structure and properties of molecules and atoms.