Creating YBCO: Melting Down and Doping for Superconductivity

In summary: The synthesis process is essentially irreversible, and I'm not sure if a large sample would necessarily result in a single crystal.
Strange_matter
Once synthesized, can YBCO be melted down to add more material or change the doping and still result in a functional superconductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you want to do such a thing? It's literally "dirt cheap."

Bystander said:
Why would you want to do such a thing? It's literally "dirt cheap."
I want a single, very large sample of YBCO for an idea I have. Also, could you link to where I could buy some cheaply? I've only really seen it being sold in demonstration kits, which can cost around $40 and don't have very much material.

Strange_matter said:
I want a single, very large sample of YBCO for an idea I have. Also, could you link to where I could buy some cheaply? I've only really seen it being sold in demonstration kits, which can cost around $40 and don't have very much material.

You can't change doping in a controlled manner this way. For example, to get an overdoped samples, you have to anneal it in a high-pressure O2 environment.

Not only that, I would imagine that melting it will severely alter the crystal structure of the bulk. At the very least, most likely, it will not be a single-crystal sample. For many condensed matter studies, this is a huge disadvantage.

And this is before we even consider that melting it will change its composition, if it will react with the vessel and the environment that you are melting it in, and if this is actually a hazardous process (notice that the elements involved here are toxic by themselves!).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You can't change doping in a controlled manner this way. For example, to get an overdoped samples, you have to anneal it in a high-pressure O2 environment.

Not only that, I would imagine that melting it will severely alter the crystal structure of the bulk. At the very least, most likely, it will not be a single-crystal sample. For many condensed matter studies, this is a huge disadvantage.

And this is before we even consider that melting it will change its composition, if it will react with the vessel and the environment that you are melting it in, and if this is actually a hazardous process (notice that the elements involved here are toxic by themselves!).

Zz.
So, the synthesis process is basically irreversible? Also, would initial synthesis of a large sample result in a single crystal?

1. How is YBCO created?

YBCO, or yttrium barium copper oxide, is created through a process called solid state reaction. This involves melting down the three elements - yttrium, barium, and copper - in the correct ratios and then cooling them to form a solid compound.

2. What is the purpose of doping in creating YBCO?

Doping is the process of adding impurities to a material in order to alter its properties. In the case of YBCO, doping is used to introduce defects in the crystal structure, which can increase the material's superconducting properties.

3. What temperature is needed to melt down the elements for YBCO?

The elements for YBCO need to be melted at extremely high temperatures, usually around 900-1000 degrees Celsius. This allows for the elements to fully mix and form a uniform compound.

4. How does the melting down and doping process create superconductivity?

The melting down process creates a uniform compound of YBCO, while doping introduces defects in the crystal structure. These defects disrupt the flow of electrons, allowing them to move more freely and easily through the material, resulting in superconductivity.

5. What are the potential applications of YBCO?

YBCO has a variety of potential applications, including in high-speed trains, energy storage systems, and medical imaging devices. Its superconducting properties make it ideal for use in technologies that require high electrical currents or magnetic fields.