Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation

I'm still confused about a few things, but I think I've gotten it now.In summary, the conversation involved discussing the proof of a formula involving the commutator of the operator a with a function expanded in a power series of a and a^\dagger. The conversation also touched on the concept of ordering in the expansion and how to correctly expand the commutator. Ultimately, the proof was shown by using the derivative of an operator-valued function and the uniqueness of solutions of first order linear differential equations.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Given that the function f can be expanded in a power series of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger[/itex], show that:

[itex][a,f(a,a^{\dagger})]=\frac{\partial f }{\partial a^\dagger}[/itex]

and that

[itex][a,e^{-\alpha a^\dagger a}] = (e^{-\alpha}-1)e^{-\alpha a^{\dagger} a}a[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tied using simple algebra, but got nowhere. Writing the exponential operators as infinite sums did not seems to be leading to an equality either. I am not sure how to correctly order the result of the derivative resulting from the first equation. I.e. [itex]e^{-\alpha a^{\dagger} a}(-\alpha a)[/itex] or [itex](-\alpha a)e^{-\alpha a^{\dagger} a}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps check first that the formula holds for simple monomials of the form [itex]f=a^m (a^\dagger)^n .[/itex]

Ok. I think part of my problem is that I'm not clear on how to series expand a multivariable function. From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_series#Power_series_in_several_variables

I think (if I'm reading the notation right) that:
[itex] f(a,a^{\dagger})=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty}c_i c_ja^i (a^{\dagger})^j [/itex].

Before looking at it in terms of series, I had tried to show that:
[itex][a,a^m(a^{\dagger})^n] = a^{m+1}(a^{\dagger})^n-a^m(a^{\dagger})^na = \frac{\mathrm{d} f}{\mathrm{d} a^{\dagger}}=a^mn(a^{\dagger})^{n-1}[/itex]

Last edited:
You must be careful. The Wiki entry is for power series with commuting variables, while [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] do not commute. You need to fix the ordering. Putting first powers of [itex]a[/itex], then powers of [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] is called anti-normal ordering. Remember the rule:

[tex][A,BC]=B[A,C]+[A,B]C[/tex]

Then calculate

[tex][a,a^\dagger ]=1[/tex]
[tex][a,(a^\dagger)^2]=a^\dagger [a,a^\dagger]+[a,a^\dagger]a^\dagger=2a^\dagger[/tex]
[tex][a,(a^\dagger)^3]=a^\dagger[a,(a^\dagger)^2]+[a,a^\dagger](a^\dagger)^2=3(a^\dagger)^2[/tex]
[tex][a,(a^\dagger)^n]=n(a^\dagger)^{n-1}.[/tex]
[tex][a,a^m(a^\dagger)^n]=a^m[a,(a^\dagger)^n]+[a,a^m](a^\dagger)^n=a^m[a,(a^\dagger)^n]=na^m(a^\dagger)^{n-1}.[/tex]

Ok. So I need to pick an ordering and stick with it. I'm not sure how to make the jump from the monomial to the exponential. Perhaps thinking of the commutator as [itex][a,(e^{- a^{\dagger}a})^{\alpha}] [/itex]? But that seems just as bad, because I would need to know [itex][a,e^{- a^{\dagger}a}] [/itex]

Look at the formula you need to prove: [itex]
[a,e^{-\alpha a^\dagger a}] = (e^{-\alpha}-1)e^{-\alpha a^{\dagger} a}a[/itex]

Expand the commutator on the LHS, expand the parenthesis on the RHS. Simplify. Multiply both sides by [itex]e^{\alpha a^{\dagger} a}[/itex] form the left. You will get a simpler formula that can be proven in several ways.

Last edited:
Since the usual way to expand the LHS commutator would mix the ordering, the only way to expand the commutator would be to use what I proved before and use the derivative.

[itex]e^{-\alpha a^\dagger a}(-\alpha a) = e^{-\alpha(1+aa^\dagger)}a - e^{-\alpha a a^\dagger}[/itex]

I will use [itex]t[/itex] instead of [itex]\alpha[/itex], because [itex]\alpha[/itex] is too similar to [itex]a[/itex].
You messed up. [itex]LHS=[a,e^{-t a^\dagger a}]=ae^{-t a^\dagger a}-e^{-t a^\dagger a}a[/itex].
[itex]RHS=e^{-t}e^{-t a^{\dagger} a}a-e^{-t a^{\dagger} a}a[/itex]. Therefore you need to show that [itex]ae^{-t a^\dagger a}=e^{-t}e^{-t a^{\dagger} a}a[/itex]. Multiply from the left by [itex]e^{t a^\dagger a}[/itex] taking into account the fact that [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] is a c-number, thus commutes with any operator. You need to prove that
[tex] e^{t a^\dagger a}ae^{-t a^\dagger a}=e^{-t}\,a[/tex]
Define [itex]f(t)=e^{t a^\dagger a}ae^{-t a^\dagger a}[/itex]. This is an operator valued function of a real variable [itex]t[/itex]. Verify that [itex]f(0)=a[/itex]. Now calculate the derivative with respect to [itex]t[/itex]. You can use the chain rule, but you must pay attention to the order of noncommuting operators. You get
[tex]f'(t)=e^{t a^\dagger a}(a^\dagger a) a e^{-t a^\dagger a} -e^{t a^\dagger a}a(a^\dagger a) e^{-t a^\dagger a}=e^{t a^\dagger a}[a^\dagger a, a] e^{-t a^\dagger a} [/tex]
The commutator you already know, and it is [itex]-a[/itex]. Therefore [itex]f(t)[/itex] satisfies the differential equation [tex]f'(t)=-f(t).[/tex]
Check that the RHS satisfies the same differential equation. Check the initial values are the same. From the uniqueness of solutions of first order linear differential equations you have that LHS=RHS for all [itex]t[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help.

Related to Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation

1. What is the Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation?

The Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation is a mathematical formula used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between creation and annihilation operators. These operators are used to represent the creation and annihilation of particles in quantum systems.

2. Why is the Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation important?

This relation is important because it allows us to calculate the time evolution of quantum systems. It also helps us understand the properties of particles and their interactions.

3. How is the Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation derived?

The relation is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the commutation relations between creation and annihilation operators. It involves using the Taylor series expansion of the exponential function and applying the commutation relations to obtain a simplified form.

4. What are some applications of the Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation?

This relation is used in various areas of quantum mechanics, such as in the calculation of transition probabilities, harmonic oscillator systems, and quantum field theory. It is also used in the study of quantum information and quantum computing.

5. Is the Creation/Anhilation Operator Exponential Commutator Relation applicable to all quantum systems?

Yes, this relation is applicable to all quantum systems, as long as the system is described by creation and annihilation operators. However, it may have different forms depending on the specific system and its properties.