Criticism of blog post on quantum pigeonhole principle

In summary, the conversation discusses a blog post about the quantum pigeonhole principle and requests criticism for improvement in writing. The post explains the principle clearly, but there are some critiques about the interpretation of the results. Suggestions for improvement include providing more context and using more specific language.
Strilanc
Science Advisor
I wrote a blog post explaining the quantum pigeonhole paper (but critical of their interpretation of that result). As part of trying to improve at writing, I'm requesting criticism. What was confusing, what was good, what was rushed, what was wrong, etc.

Also discussion about the quantum pigeonhole principle itself is fitting.

Excerpt from the middle of the post:
So what's happening is:
  1. The two qubits touched by the referee end up in the even-parity state |00⟩+|11⟩ or the odd-parity state |01⟩+|10⟩.
  2. Rotating every qubit by 90° doesn't affect the untouched qubits, but inverts the parity of the touched qubits. If the referee wrote down "disagree", the two touched qubits now agree. If the referee wrote down "agree", the two touched qubits now disagree.
  3. When we measure the qubits and they all return the same result, we know the parity of every pair ended up "agree". And since we inverted the parity of the pair the referee measured, the referee must have measured "disagree".

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, I want to commend you for your clear explanation of the quantum pigeonhole principle. Your use of concise language and simple examples make it easier for readers to understand the concept.

However, I do have a few critiques about your interpretation of the results. While it is true that rotating the qubits by 90° inverts the parity of the touched qubits, it is not accurate to say that if the referee wrote down "disagree", the two touched qubits now agree. In fact, they would still be in the same state as before the rotation.

Additionally, I think it would be helpful to provide more context and background information about the quantum pigeonhole principle. How does it relate to other principles in quantum mechanics? How was it discovered and why is it significant?

As for improvements in your writing, I would suggest breaking up the excerpt into smaller paragraphs to make it easier to read. Also, consider using more specific language and avoiding vague terms like "what's happening" and "we know". This will make your explanation more precise and less confusing for readers.

Overall, your post is informative and well-written, but could benefit from some clarifications and more specific language. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the quantum pigeonhole principle?

The quantum pigeonhole principle is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to put three or more particles into two distinct quantum states.

2. Why is the quantum pigeonhole principle important?

The quantum pigeonhole principle has important implications for understanding the behavior of quantum systems, and it has been used to explain phenomena such as quantum interference and entanglement.

3. What is the criticism of the blog post on the quantum pigeonhole principle?

The criticism of the blog post on the quantum pigeonhole principle is that it oversimplifies the concept and does not accurately represent the current understanding of the principle among scientists.

4. What are some misconceptions about the quantum pigeonhole principle?

Some common misconceptions about the quantum pigeonhole principle include thinking that it only applies to particles, when in fact it can also apply to other quantum systems such as photons, and assuming that it is a physical law rather than a mathematical principle.

5. Are there any practical applications of the quantum pigeonhole principle?

While the quantum pigeonhole principle has mostly been studied for its theoretical implications, there have been some proposed applications in quantum computing and cryptography. However, these applications are still in their early stages and have not been fully realized yet.