Cross Product: Simple Cross Product

In summary, the problem asks to find the vector resulting from the cross product of r, z, and y. The Cartesian to spherical equation is used to find the value of r, and the cross product is evaluated from right to left. The correct solution for r x (z x y) is -cos(theta)y + sin(theta)sin(phi)z.
jhicks
(This is part of a much larger problem)

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\hat{r} \times \hat{z} \times \hat{y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]x=rsin(\theta)cos(\phi)[/tex], [tex]y=rsin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex],[tex]z=rcos(\theta)[/tex] (cartesian->spherical)

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided [tex]\hat{r}=\hat{x}sin(\theta)cos(\phi)+\hat{y}sin(\theta)sin(\phi)+\hat{z}cos(\theta)[/tex]. Evaluating the cross product right to left, I got:

[tex]\hat{r} \times \hat{z} \times \hat{y}=\hat{r} \times (-\hat{x}) = -cos(\theta)\hat{y}+sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\hat{z}[/tex], but the solution to the problem suggests this is not true. Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
jhicks said:
Find [tex]\hat{r} \times \hat{z} \times \hat{y}[/tex]

Hi jhicks! :smile:

Do you mean r x (z x y) or (r x z) x y? :confused:

Hi tiny-tim,

Well there're no parentheses in the problem, but somehow when I did this last night I concluded you evaluate cross products right to left, but I see the error of my ways.

Thanks!

Related to Cross Product: Simple Cross Product

What is the cross product?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors in three-dimensional space and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is also known as the vector product or the outer product.

How do you calculate the cross product?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you first need to find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix using the components of the two vectors as the first two rows. Then, you can find the components of the resulting vector by using the right-hand rule to determine the direction and magnitude of the vector.

What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product can be interpreted as the area of the parallelogram formed by the two original vectors, with the direction of the resulting vector perpendicular to this plane. This can also be thought of as the magnitude of the vector being the product of the magnitudes of the two original vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

What are some applications of the cross product?

The cross product has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum in physics. In engineering, it is used in the design of machines and structures. In computer graphics, it is used to calculate lighting and shading effects.

What are some common misconceptions about the cross product?

One common misconception about the cross product is that it is commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors does not matter. However, this is not true, and the cross product is anti-commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors does matter. Another misconception is that the cross product can be applied to vectors in any number of dimensions, but it is only defined for three-dimensional vectors.