Cross Section: Quark-Gluon vs. Quark-Photon

In summary, the problem discusses the observation of dark matter at the LHC through monojet and monophoton signals, which involve parton processes. The cross sections of these processes are related by a numerical coefficient A, which can be determined through the use of QCD and QED Feynman rules. The difference in the interaction vertex between photon and gluon radiation leads to a proportionality factor of C_Fg^2/e^2, where C_F is the square of the color matrix, and g and e are the coupling constants for SU(3) and U(1) respectively. The casimir Cf also plays a role in this calculation.
lmcelroy
This isn't a homework problem. I am preparing for a particle physics exam and although I understand the theoretical side of field theory, I have little idea how to approach practical scattering questions like these.

THE PROBLEM:
Dark matter might be observed at the LHC with monojet and monophoton signals, which proceed via the parton processes:

Q aQ → χχϒ

Q aQ → χχg

where Q is a quark, aQ is an anti-quark, χ is the dark matter candidate, γ is a photon, g is a gluon.

Explain why the cross sections of the two processes are related by σ(Q aQ → χχϒ) = A σ(Q aQ → χχg) where A is a numerical coefficient.

EXTRA:
It would be great if someone could explain how to determine A for a particular process; e.g. σ(Qred aQred → χχϒ) = A σ(Qred aQred → χχϒ).

ATTEMPT:
Using QCD and QED Feynman rules to determine the Feynman amplitude, the only difference is in the quark-gluon vs. quark-photon vertex. These terms only contribute constant terms so the equations are equal except for a proportionality constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference, as you said, is in the interaction vertex. I don't know exactly what the explicit form of it is in the presence of dark matter (also because it strongly depends on the model you are considering) however, I can tell you what would happen in an ordinary process, say photon radiation vs. gluon radiation.
The difference is that in the photon vertex you basically just have (omitting annoying factors of i etc.) [itex]e\gamma_\mu[/itex], where e is the electric charge and [itex]\gamma_\mu[/itex] is the usual Dirac matrix. In the gluon case you group is SU(3) instead of U(1) and hence you vertex is [itex]gT^a_{ij}\gamma_\mu[/itex], where now [itex]T^a_{ij}[/itex] is a matrix in the fundamental representation of SU(3). When you take the absolute value squared of your amplitude, to compute the cross section, in the first case you will just have [itex]e^2[/itex] while in the second case you'll end up with [itex]g^2C_F[/itex] where [itex]C_F[/itex] is the square (plus a trace maybe, I don't remember) of the color matrix. If I remember correctly for the ordinary 3 color case you have [itex]C_F=3/4[/itex] or something like that. So I would say that your final proportionality factor A is just [itex]A=C_Fg^2/e^2[/itex].

I might be messing up with the actual numerical coefficients but I'm confident that this is the right path. I hope this answers your question.

Einj is exactly right.

The question uses dark matter because it can be assumed that the photon and gluon only couple to the initial state q or Aq.

In which case the ratio of cross sections is a colour factor and coupling constant.

In this particular example, the casimir Cf (4/3) which is calculated by averaging/summing over colours - for this see an introduction to qcd or chapter 16 of peskin. (The couplings also come with scale dependence in fixed-order, but that's almost certainly irrelevant for the exam).

Good luck

1. What is a cross section in particle physics?

In particle physics, a cross section is a measure of the probability of a particle interaction or collision occurring between two particles. It is typically represented in units of area and is used to describe the effective size of the interaction.

2. How does a cross section differ between quark-gluon and quark-photon interactions?

The cross section for a quark-gluon interaction is typically larger than that of a quark-photon interaction. This is because gluons, which are the particles responsible for the strong nuclear force, have a higher probability of interacting with quarks compared to photons, which are responsible for the electromagnetic force.

3. What role do quarks and gluons play in the cross section?

Quarks and gluons are the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons in an atom. In a quark-gluon interaction, these particles are directly involved and contribute to the cross section. In a quark-photon interaction, the quarks are indirectly involved as they are affected by the electric and magnetic fields of the photon.

4. How does the energy of the particles affect the cross section?

The energy of the particles has a direct impact on the cross section. Generally, as the energy increases, the cross section also increases. This is because at higher energies, there is a greater chance for particles to interact and collide with each other.

5. Why is the study of cross section important in particle physics?

The study of cross section is important in particle physics as it provides valuable information about the interactions between particles. It allows scientists to understand the fundamental forces and processes at play in the subatomic world and helps to validate and refine theories and models of particle interactions.