Crossword Puzzle Generation Algorithm

In summary, a good strategy for finding intersections in a dictionary is to transform the code to produce a crossword.
NotASmurf
Hey all, for a dictionary app I have to code I have to implement as crossword game as a side feature, unfortunately this is compulsory, I can't figure out a good way of finding words that intersect each other (esp words that intersect multiple others) without a hell of a lot of goto and while's. Is there a good, inexpensive strategy (so no genetic algorithms or pure bruteforce) given a list of words, to find good intersections to procedural generate the crossword without while loops that may not even be guaranteed to resolve themselves? Any help appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks but that's just abstracting the loop, I'm certain the key lies in pre-processing the data.

You could, of course, put all the words in a database:
  • Word
  • Dictionary entry
  • Word length
  • First letter
  • (Second letter etc.)
Now you have pre-processed the data. In order to find the word you want, create a query incorporating the word length and known letters...

Likes harborsparrow
NotASmurf said:
Hey all, for a dictionary app I have to code I have to implement as crossword game as a side feature, unfortunately this is compulsory, I can't figure out a good way of finding words that intersect each other (esp words that intersect multiple others) without a hell of a lot of goto and while's. Is there a good, inexpensive strategy (so no genetic algorithms or pure bruteforce) given a list of words, to find good intersections to procedural generate the crossword without while loops that may not even be guaranteed to resolve themselves? Any help appreciated.

Transform code to produce a crossword (7 letters).

compile

Likes Ibix

1. How does a crossword puzzle generation algorithm work?

A crossword puzzle generation algorithm is a set of rules and instructions that a computer program follows to create a crossword puzzle. The algorithm typically starts by selecting a set of words that will be used in the puzzle. Then, it determines the best layout for the words, taking into account factors such as word length, symmetry, and placement of black squares. Finally, the algorithm fills in the remaining empty spaces with letters to create a complete puzzle.

2. Can a crossword puzzle generation algorithm create different levels of difficulty?

Yes, a crossword puzzle generation algorithm can be programmed to create puzzles of varying difficulty levels. This can be achieved by adjusting certain parameters, such as the number of black squares or the use of more obscure words. Additionally, some algorithms may incorporate artificial intelligence to analyze the difficulty of a puzzle and make adjustments accordingly.

3. How accurate are crossword puzzle generation algorithms?

The accuracy of a crossword puzzle generation algorithm depends on several factors, such as the quality of the word database used and the complexity of the puzzle parameters. A well-designed algorithm can produce high-quality puzzles, but there may still be occasional errors or less-than-ideal combinations of words. Human intervention and quality control are often necessary to ensure the overall accuracy of the puzzles.

4. Is there a limit to the size or shape of a crossword puzzle that can be generated by an algorithm?

In theory, there is no limit to the size or shape of a crossword puzzle that can be generated by an algorithm. However, in practice, there may be limitations based on the specific algorithm and the computing power available. Additionally, larger or more complex puzzles may take longer to generate and may require more advanced algorithms.

5. Can a crossword puzzle generation algorithm be used for languages other than English?

Yes, a crossword puzzle generation algorithm can be adapted to work with any language as long as a suitable word database is available. The algorithm may need to be modified to account for differences in language structure and word frequency, but the basic principles of generating a crossword puzzle remain the same regardless of the language used.