"Crow Flies Distance" On a Rectangular Grid -- Definition?

In summary, "Crow Flies Distance" is the standard Euclidean distance between two points on a rectangular grid.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I am looking for a precise definition of " Crow Flies Distance" on a rectangular grid. I have not found a precise definition yet, but from what I have read, I think it would be the standard Euclidean distance ## d((x_1,y_1),(x_2,y_2)) = \sqrt {( (x_1-x_2)^2+(y_1-y_2)^2}) ## Is this correct?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems correct to me. My understanding of "as the crow flies" is a direct straight-line path from one point to another, in which case the distance would be given by the expression you have written.

Likes WWGD
Excellent, LunaFly, thanks.

WWGD said:
Hi all,
I am looking for a precise definition of " Crow Flies Distance" on a rectangular grid.
I am confused as to why you are looking for a "precise definition" of a very informal term. "As the crow flies" is an expression invoked when someone wants to point out that the straight line distance from one location to another is much shorter than the road or path a person is required to take. The person never knows or gives the exact "as the crow flies" distance. Example: "From here to Fitzwilliam, it's 7 miles by the Old Mill Bridge road. As the crow flies, though, probably 2 miles. Gotta go out of your way to get to the bridge over the Old Mill River." That sort of thing.

Are you having a debate with someone about this term or something?

zoobyshoe said:
I am confused as to why you are looking for a "precise definition" of a very informal term. "As the crow flies" is an expression invoked when someone wants to point out that the straight line distance from one location to another is much shorter than the road or path a person is required to take. The person never knows or gives the exact "as the crow flies" distance. Example: "From here to Fitzwilliam, it's 7 miles by the Old Mill Bridge road. As the crow flies, though, probably 2 miles. Gotta go out of your way to get to the bridge over the Old Mill River." That sort of thing.

Are you having a debate with someone about this term or something?
No, I had never heard the expression before and was curious after reading about it. EDIT Actually, I was talking with someone about points farthest apart within the U.S mainland and the term came up. I looked it up but could not find any precise definition, at least not one I could get right away..

WWGD said:
No, I had never heard the expression before and was curious after reading about it.
OK. Generally it's just an expression brought into play when a practical route is much longer than it would be if you could get to the destination in a straight line.

Regardless, you can avoid using the expression altogether when someone asks you for directions by taking this approach:

Of course, we're talking about idealized crows here. Real crows are probably likely to deviate from a straight-line path if they see some food along the way. :cool:

Likes jim mcnamara
jtbell said:
Of course, we're talking about idealized crows here. Real crows are probably likely to deviate from a straight-line path if they see some food along the way. :cool:
Might be better if we update the saying to, "as the drone flies," and then actually use drones to collect the data associated with a given route.

Likes Silicon Waffle

What is the definition of "Crow Flies Distance" on a Rectangular Grid?

"Crow Flies Distance" on a Rectangular Grid refers to the shortest distance between two points on a rectangular grid, measured in a straight line as if a crow were to fly directly between the points.

How is "Crow Flies Distance" different from other distance measures?

"Crow Flies Distance" is different from other distance measures, such as Manhattan distance or Euclidean distance, because it only considers the straight line distance between two points on a grid, rather than the actual distance traveled along the grid lines.

What is the formula for calculating "Crow Flies Distance" on a Rectangular Grid?

The formula for calculating "Crow Flies Distance" on a Rectangular Grid is √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points on the grid.

What are the units of measurement for "Crow Flies Distance" on a Rectangular Grid?

"Crow Flies Distance" on a Rectangular Grid is typically measured in the same units as the grid itself, such as inches, feet, or meters.

Can "Crow Flies Distance" be used on grids with non-rectangular shapes?

No, "Crow Flies Distance" is specifically designed for rectangular grids and cannot be applied to grids with non-rectangular shapes. Other distance measures, such as Euclidean distance, may be more suitable for these types of grids.