Crumple Zone -Need help to better understand por favor

• Thread starter jcfor3ver
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of dimensional analysis to estimate the relation between the size of a crumple zone in a car, the initial speed of the car, and the average stopping acceleration of the car's occupants in a collision. The goal is to determine the minimum crumple zone size needed to keep accelerations below a fatal acceleration of 20g in a collision at 30 miles per hour. The conversation also clarifies that physics should not be involved in the dimensional analysis and provides resources for understanding the concept.
jcfor3ver
"Crumple Zone" --Need help to better understand por favor

1. Estimation. “Crumple Zone”
a. Crumple zones in cars are designed to reduce the acceleration in a collision with a stationary object. Estimate
a relation between the size of the crumple zone, the initial speed of the car, and the average stopping
acceleration of the car’s occupants using dimensional analysis. Dimensional analysis does not start with the
equations; it utilizes only the physical quantities and their dimensions to estimate. Part “b” is an actual estimate
using some numbers.

b. For a collision at 30 miles per hour, what is the minimum crumple zone size needed to keep accelerations
below (a fatal) acceleration of 20g. How does this size compare to the length of a typical car (report this in
percent)? Respond to this question it in one complete sentence?

Homework Equations

p = (mass) * (velocity)
impulse = (force) * (time)
(change in momentum) = (impulse)

p - p = (force) * (time)
final initial

m*v - m*v = (force) * (time)
final initial

Crumple Zone= L= length of 'crumple zone'

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part A (which is what I need to know to find out part B) I am confused on how to get the length of the crumple zone into the equation and relate all of these terms. I would like a discussion on this question, but a nudge in the right direction would be helpful.

I started by saying: vo= initial velocity and v1=0=final velocity. turning this
m*v1 - m*vo = (force) * (time)
final initial

-but then v1 is taken out of the equation since final velocity is zero. How do I relate all the size of the crumple zone (L) to vo of the car and to the average stopping acceleration of a cars occupants?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You were told explicitly not to involve any physics in the dimensional analysis. Throw out everything you know about collisions and use dimensional analysis.

Do you know how to perform dimensional analysis? If not, then refer to this text, scroll down to page 3-4 or so if you're familiar with the concept in its most general form.
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~daw/D_PHYS845/DimensionalAnalysisLecture.pdf

This might prove simpler:
http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/CIVE/CIVE1400/Section5/dimensional_analysis.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a crumple zone and how does it work?

A crumple zone is a structural feature of a vehicle that is designed to absorb energy in the event of a collision. It works by deforming and crumpling upon impact, which helps to reduce the force of the impact on the vehicle's occupants.

2. Are all cars equipped with crumple zones?

Not all cars are equipped with crumple zones, but they have become a standard safety feature in most modern vehicles. However, the design and effectiveness of crumple zones may vary between different car models and manufacturers.

3. How do crumple zones protect passengers in a car?

Crumple zones protect passengers in a car by absorbing the energy of a collision and reducing the force of impact on the occupants. This helps to minimize injuries and increase the chances of survival in the event of a crash.

4. Can crumple zones be repaired after a collision?

In most cases, crumple zones cannot be repaired after a collision. They are designed to deform and absorb energy, so attempting to repair them may compromise their effectiveness in future accidents. It is important to have a professional inspect and potentially replace damaged crumple zones.

5. How can I tell if my car has crumple zones?

You can usually tell if your car has crumple zones by looking for areas of the vehicle that are designed to crumple or deform in the event of a collision. These areas may be reinforced with special materials or have visible structural features. You can also check your car's manual or consult with a dealership to confirm if your vehicle has crumple zones.