Cryptography / Number Theory

In summary, to address the two questions, one must prove that a prime number n satisfies certain conditions in order for the statements to be true. For the first question, n must divide either a or b when n is a prime number and divides the product of a and b. For the second question, n must divide either b or c when n is a prime number and does not divide a, but divides the product of a and b and the product of a and c. These conditions must be proven for n to be considered a prime number.
guyfromnola
I'm having some trouble addressing the following two questions in a text I am going through:

1. Show that n is a prime number iff whenever a,b ∈ Zn with ab=0, we must have that a=0 or b=0.

2. Show that n is a prime number iff for every a,b,c ∈ Zn satisfying a not =0, and ab=ac, we have that b=c.

There were some other similar questions that addressed showing two numbers are relatively prime by showing that gcd(a,n)=1, which was a little difficult to start, but I think I managed to get through them. However, I am stuck with these. Not sure how to begin to prove.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
guyfromnola said:
However, I am stuck with these. Not sure how to begin to prove.

Begin by expanding the definitions.

For 1:
ab = 0 (mod n) exactly when n | ab
a = 0 (mod n) exactly when n | a
b = 0 (mod n) exactly when n | b

So the question becomes:
Show that n is a prime number iff whenever n | ab, we must have that n | a or n | b.

That is, you need to show:
a. If n is prime and n | ab, either n | a or n | b.
b. If n is not prime, then there is some pair (a, b) with n ∤ a, n ∤ b, and n | ab.

1. What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves creating and analyzing protocols that prevent third parties from reading private messages. Cryptography is used to protect sensitive information, such as financial transactions, military communications, and personal data.

2. What is the difference between symmetric and asymmetric cryptography?

Symmetric cryptography uses a single secret key to both encrypt and decrypt messages, while asymmetric cryptography uses a pair of keys (public and private) to encrypt and decrypt messages. Symmetric encryption is faster but less secure than asymmetric encryption, which provides higher security but at the cost of slower processing.

3. What is the role of number theory in cryptography?

Number theory is the branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of integers and their relationships with other numbers. It is an essential component of cryptography as it provides the foundation for many cryptographic algorithms, such as RSA and Diffie-Hellman. Number theory helps in creating secure encryption and decryption protocols by identifying and utilizing patterns and properties of prime numbers, modular arithmetic, and other mathematical concepts.

4. How does cryptography ensure the security of messages?

Cryptography uses various techniques, such as encryption, decryption, and digital signatures, to ensure the security of messages. Encryption is the process of converting plaintext into ciphertext using a cryptographic algorithm and a key. Decryption is the reverse process of converting ciphertext back to plaintext. Digital signatures use asymmetric cryptography to ensure the authenticity and integrity of messages by using a digital certificate and a private key.

5. Can cryptography be broken or hacked?

Cryptography can be broken through various methods, including brute force attacks, cryptanalysis, and side-channel attacks. However, modern cryptographic algorithms are designed to withstand these attacks and are continuously updated to address new threats. As long as the keys used in cryptography are kept secret and the algorithms are strong, the likelihood of successful hacking is low.