Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins)

In summary, the conversation is about hooking up a crystal oscillator package on a breadboard and testing its expected operation. The speaker is having trouble finding data sheets for the pin connection diagrams and is unsure about how to wire the crystal oscillator. They mention that the package is equivalent to a CRL series circuit and they have packages with varying operation frequencies but can assess how it should behave by comparing it to the C-CLR circuit. They ask about the need for a ground and mention the use of one test circuit to test its operation. Another person suggests skipping the 15pF output capacitor and only using a 0.1uF capacitor across the power supply pins.
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

I'm trying to hook up crystal oscillator package on breadboard and test for expected operation: I'm not sure how and cannot find any data sheets for the pin connection diagrams, I attached an image I found of the kind of package I'm using. There are four pins.

Homework Equations

; Attempt Solution [/B]

The package is supposed to be equivalent to a CRL series circuit in parallel with another capacitor, as if you were measuring over the capacitor in parallel. (I attached a diagram). The values for the elements in the C-CLR circuit are for a .5 MHz crystal oscillator (that's what's given in my text)...I have crystal oscillator packages with varying operation frequencies...but I think I can assess how it should behave just by comparing to C-CLR circuit. I just don't know how to wire a crystal exactly...is there a ground?

Attachments

• fingers_1_mhz.jpg
    fingers_1_mhz.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 522
  • equivalent-circuit-to-a-crystal-oscillator-package.png
    equivalent-circuit-to-a-crystal-oscillator-package.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,109
Physics news on Phys.org
It will probably look something like this:

Datasheet

Thanks. I think this will work. So it looks like I'll have to wire up one of the test circuits TTL or LSTTL to test its' operation? Ouch!

AdkinsJr said:
Thanks. I think this will work. So it looks like I'll have to wire up one of the test circuits TTL or LSTTL to test its' operation? Ouch!
You can skip the 15pF output capacitor; it's just there to test for worst-case loading.
So you're left with one 0.1uF capacitor across the power supply pins. Not much of an 'ouch', is it?

As a scientist, my first recommendation would be to consult the manufacturer of the crystal oscillator package for the pin connection diagram and any other relevant information. This will ensure that you have the most accurate and up-to-date information for your specific package.

If you are unable to obtain this information, my second recommendation would be to carefully examine the package and its pins, as well as any accompanying documentation, to determine the function of each pin. Generally, crystal oscillator packages will have two pins for power supply (Vcc and GND), one pin for the input signal (usually labeled "IN"), and one pin for the output signal (usually labeled "OUT").

Once you have determined the function of each pin, you can then refer to the diagram you attached and compare it to a standard C-CLR circuit to determine how to wire the crystal oscillator on your breadboard. Remember to also take into account any additional capacitors or other components that may be required for proper operation, as mentioned in your text.

If you are still unsure, I would recommend reaching out to a mentor or colleague with experience in working with crystal oscillators for guidance and assistance. It is always important to carefully research and plan before conducting any experiments, especially when dealing with sensitive components like crystal oscillators.

1. What is a Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins)?

A Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins) is a type of electronic device that is used to generate precise electrical signals by utilizing the inherent properties of a crystal. It consists of a crystal, an amplifier, and other supporting components, all enclosed in a package with 4 pins for easy connection to a circuit board.

2. How does a Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins) work?

A Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins) works by applying a voltage to the crystal, causing it to vibrate at a specific frequency. This vibration is then amplified by the internal amplifier and output as an electrical signal. The frequency of the output signal is determined by the physical properties of the crystal, making it very precise and stable.

3. What are the advantages of using a Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins)?

There are several advantages of using a Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins). Firstly, it provides a highly stable and accurate frequency output, making it ideal for applications that require precise timing. Additionally, it is a compact and self-contained device, making it easy to integrate into electronic circuits. It also has a wide frequency range and can operate in various environmental conditions.

4. What are the common applications of a Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins)?

A Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins) is commonly used in electronic devices that require precise timing, such as computers, communication systems, and instrumentation equipment. It is also used in radio frequency (RF) circuits, where a stable frequency output is crucial for proper functioning.

5. How do I choose the right Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins) for my application?

Choosing the right Crystal Oscillator Package (4 pins) for your application depends on several factors, including the required frequency stability, operating temperature range, and power supply voltage. It is essential to consult the device's datasheet and consider these parameters before making a selection. Additionally, you can also seek guidance from electronic component suppliers or consult with a professional engineer.