CS amplifiers cascade problem

In summary: If VA is infinite, then ro is infinite and RD=ro||RD. However, if VA is not infinite, then ro is not infinite and RD is not RD. In this case, Vo1=Vi2=-(gmVi1)(RO) and Vo2=-(gmVi2)(RO)=(gm)2(RD||ro)2Vi2. This is true because Vi1 and Vi2 are the voltage gains at the input and output, respectively, of the first stage, and gm is the gain of the second stage.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

two identical CS amplifiers connected in cascade. 1st stage fed with vsigand Rsig=100k ohm. load RL= 10k ohm connected to drain of 2nd stage. each MOSFET biased at ID = 0.25mA and VOV=0.25V. assume VA is very large. Each stage has RD=10k ohm.

a) sketch equivalent circuit of two-stage amplifier
b) find overall voltage gain Gv

Homework Equations

ID = (1/2)*kn*(VOV)2 <-- sat.
gm = knVOV
ro = |VA|/ID
GV=AV=-gm*RD || RL = -gm*RO
Vo = -(gmvgs)(RD||ro)

The Attempt at a Solution

i sketched the small signal circuit on paper but I'll probably show it later. solving for kn i get 8mA/V2. and gm=2mA/V. If VA is infinite then ro is infinite, and RO=ro||RD=RD. I get for 1st stage AVo1=GVo1=-20V.

To find the relationship for 2nd stage I did Vo1=Vi2=-(gmVi1)(RO) and Vo2=-(gmVi2)(RO)=(gm)2(RD||ro)2Vi2 then GVo2=Vo2/Vi2=400V. but is that right? I get a positive gain so I think i did it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't thinking, and i did it wrong xD
the gain for 2nd cascade stage, would actually be -gm* RD|| RL = -2 * 10||10 = -10 V/V. what I don't get though, how they get an answer of total gain of -20 V/V (1st stage) * -10 V/V = 200 V/V. are you allowed to multiply them like that?

sorry, here's the image for 2 stage cascade CS amplifiers
http://postimg.org/image/cnqur1y6h/

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess from what you wrote that gm = 2 mA/V.
If I have two amplifier in cascade as you have, why should you not be able to multiply their gains? The input to the 2nd stage is the output of the 1st stage.
The answer they give is correct.

As a language model AI developed by OpenAI, I don't have access to your handwritten sketch, so I cannot comment on its accuracy. However, your approach seems to be generally correct. Here are some points to consider:

- In the first stage, the voltage gain is indeed -20V, but the negative sign indicates an inverted output. This means that the output signal is 180 degrees out of phase with the input signal.
- In the second stage, you are correct in using the formula Vo2 = -(gm*Vi2)*(RO). However, the value of RO should be (RD||ro), not (RD||ro)^2. This is because the equivalent resistance seen by the second stage is still RD||ro, not (RD||ro)^2.
- Also, keep in mind that the output of the first stage (Vo1) is already inverted, so the output of the second stage (Vo2) will be inverted again. This means that the overall output of the cascade amplifier will be in phase with the input signal.
- Finally, to find the overall voltage gain, you need to multiply the voltage gains of the individual stages. So the overall voltage gain (GV) will be GV = GV1 * GV2 = (-20V) * (400V) = -8000V. This value is negative, indicating an inverted output.

1. What is a "CS amplifiers cascade problem"?

A "CS amplifiers cascade problem" refers to the issue of cascading multiple common source (CS) amplifiers in a circuit, which can lead to instability and distortion in the amplified signal.

2. How does the cascading of CS amplifiers impact circuit performance?

Cascading CS amplifiers can introduce parasitic capacitances and resistances, which can cause frequency response issues and reduce the gain and bandwidth of the circuit. It can also result in non-linear distortion due to the interaction between the amplifiers.

3. What are some ways to mitigate the CS amplifiers cascade problem?

One way to mitigate the issue is to use proper layout and design techniques, such as minimizing parasitic elements and optimizing the impedance matching between amplifiers. Another approach is to use negative feedback to stabilize the circuit and reduce distortion.

4. How can one determine the number of CS amplifiers that can be cascaded without causing problems?

The number of cascaded CS amplifiers that can be used depends on various factors, such as the amplifier gain, bandwidth, and input/output impedances. It is important to analyze the circuit using simulations or calculations to determine the optimum number of amplifiers for the desired performance.

5. Are there any benefits to cascading CS amplifiers?

Cascading CS amplifiers can provide higher overall gain and improve the noise performance of the circuit. It can also be useful in certain applications, such as when designing multi-stage amplifiers or high-frequency circuits. However, careful design and analysis are necessary to avoid the potential issues associated with cascading.