CS Degree with possible physics minor

In summary, someone considering a CS degree with a physics minor should consider the pros and cons carefully.
starrynight108
Hello,

I've taken a leave of absence from UCSD (polisci major) to finish pre-requirements for a compsci degree. Initially, I left to pursue an astrophysics degree, but after taking a C++ and intro to Java class, CS has me hooked - I love the logic.

So the major prep requires either two phys, two bio, or two chem classes. I am definitely going for the two phys classes and maybe the third as well; they only offer three phys for engineer classes.

I'd love to work in the filed of space travel/technology. NASA hires computer programmers, but I wanted to post here and see if anyone had any insights/suggestions for classes/paths to research.

Cheers,
-C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered a physics degree with a CS minor? I know that when you first start learning about programming computers, it can be really addicting and fun, but it can just as quickly become boring. Also, CS is more than just programming. Will the CS degree prepare you better for the career you want than a physics degree?

I have to disagree with vela. I'm actually doing just as he suggests, Engineering Physics with Computer Science as a technical elective (minor). The problem with this degree is a lot of employers, unfortunately, look at your major and put you in a box of potential careers. They look at your minor afterwards. You'll see a ton of BS Physics majors on here, including me, trying to figure out how to sell themselves to employers. It's hard to get employers to understand the value of a physics education. I'm lucky though, I have a job waiting for me. I'm still looking around though to see what kind of value I might have... so far, none. Even my current employer views my degree with trepidation. He doesn't get it either.

The worst part is that after freshman and sophomore pre-reqs I'll have taken the same amount of physics classes as CS. But, from the career fairs I've been to, I always get told that they're concerned I don't have the programming chops for their position. This may, or may not be true, I don't know. I do know that it is really frustrating to hear. Especially when the CS majors graduate without ever actually being required to make a persistent program with an actual GUI. There are some classes that offer this, but only a few and they generally just focus on interfaces.

Anyway, that's my rant. Don't switch if programming is your goal. Otherwise you'll have a hard time getting those jobs.

As an aside, vela is correct when saying they can become boring. Intro to Programming is really interesting and fun and the possibilities seem limitless... but then data structures, discrete structures, numerical analysis, architecture... etc. It won't get interesting again until you start your 400 series classes. Even then, pick them wisely.

Thanks for the insights everyone.

Hello C,

It's great to hear that you have found a passion for computer science and are considering pursuing a minor in physics. The combination of these two fields can open up a lot of opportunities in the field of space travel and technology.

In terms of classes, I would recommend looking into courses that focus on computational physics or astrophysics. These will give you a strong understanding of how computer science can be applied to the study of space and the universe. You may also want to consider taking classes in data analysis and machine learning, as these are becoming increasingly important in the field of space travel and technology.

As for research paths, I would suggest looking into internships or research opportunities with organizations such as NASA or private companies that specialize in space technology. This will give you hands-on experience and a better understanding of the industry.

Best of luck in your studies and future career pursuits!

Sincerely,

Related to CS Degree with possible physics minor

1. What is a CS degree with a possible physics minor?

A CS degree with a possible physics minor is a combination of two academic programs: computer science and physics. It allows students to gain knowledge and skills in both computer science and physics, providing a well-rounded education in two complementary fields.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a CS degree with a possible physics minor?

There are several benefits to pursuing a CS degree with a possible physics minor. Firstly, it provides a diverse skill set and knowledge base that can be valuable in many industries, including technology, engineering, and research. It also allows for a deeper understanding of how computers and technology are used in the field of physics, which can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in this area.

3. Can I pursue a CS degree with a possible physics minor without prior experience in either subject?

Yes, most universities offering this program do not require prior experience in either computer science or physics. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science, as these subjects are the basis for both computer science and physics.

4. What kind of courses can I expect to take in a CS degree with a possible physics minor?

The specific courses will vary depending on the university and program, but generally, students can expect to take courses in computer programming, algorithms, data structures, physics principles, and advanced mathematics. Other courses may include computer architecture, software engineering, and computational physics.

5. What career opportunities are available with a CS degree and a physics minor?

A CS degree with a possible physics minor can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as software development, data science, research, and engineering. With a strong foundation in both computer science and physics, graduates may also have the opportunity to work in interdisciplinary roles that combine these two fields.