Cubic Algebraic Solution: Understanding the Approximation in Equations 4 and 5

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, there is a discussion about equations and approximations in a calculus thread. The approximation ##a_0 \approx a\left( 1- \frac{1}{a^2}\Sigma \right)## is found by assuming ##\Sigma \ll 1## and neglecting higher order terms. There is also mention of a Taylor expansion and a potential mistake regarding a denominator.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Here equations 4 and 5 imply $$a^3=a_0^3+3 a_0 \Sigma \implies a_0 \approx a\left( 1- \frac{1}{a^2}\Sigma \right).$$ Can someone explain how this approximation is found?

Edit: I place in calculus thread because there must be some series expansion going on or a neglecting of terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
NVM, I solved it! Assume ##\Sigma \ll 1## and neglect H.O.T. Thanks!

Likes jedishrfu
There is no ##2 ## in the denominator. It should read ##a^3=a_o^3+3 a_o \sum ##. This will make ##a_o^3=a^3(1-3 (a_o/a^3) \sum ) \approx a^3(1-\frac{3}{a^2} \sum ) ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile ## (1+\Delta)^{1/3} \approx 1+\Delta/3 ##, (Taylor expansion).

Likes Ssnow, jedishrfu and member 428835
Beat me to it, sorry. Didn't see your post till after my second one. Thanks!

Likes Charles Link and jedishrfu
Everytime i see these approximations its always a Taylor expansion of some sort.

joshmccraney said:
NVM, I solved it! Assume ##\Sigma \ll 1## and neglect H.O.T. Thanks!
If I made no mistake, then you need ##\dfrac{\Sigma}{a} \approx 0.##

1. What is cubic algebraic solution?

Cubic algebraic solution is a method used to solve equations that involve cubic polynomials, which are equations with a highest degree of three. This method involves finding the roots or solutions of the equation, which are the values that make the equation true.

2. Why is understanding the approximation in equations 4 and 5 important?

Equations 4 and 5 refer to the two ways in which cubic equations can be solved - either through an exact algebraic solution or through an approximation method. Understanding the approximation in these equations is important because it allows us to estimate the solutions of a cubic equation when an exact solution is not possible.

3. How does the approximation method work?

The approximation method involves using numerical techniques, such as the Newton-Raphson method, to find an approximate solution to a cubic equation. This method involves starting with an initial guess for the solution and then using a series of calculations to refine the guess until a satisfactory solution is found.

4. What are the limitations of the approximation method?

The approximation method is not always accurate and may produce a solution that is only an estimate. It also requires an initial guess for the solution, which may not always be easy to obtain. Additionally, the method may fail to find a solution if the equation has complex roots or if the initial guess is too far from the actual solution.

5. How is cubic algebraic solution used in scientific research?

Cubic algebraic solution is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry, to solve equations that involve cubic polynomials. This allows scientists to accurately model and understand real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects and chemical reactions. It is also used in computer programming and data analysis to solve mathematical problems and make predictions.