Cubic Centimeters: Do I Need to Use "cc"?

• Thread starter Superman89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, cubic centimeters (cc) are a unit of measurement for volume, equal to the volume of a cube with sides that are 1 centimeter in length. "cc" is commonly used in the medical field and to measure engine displacement. To convert cc to other units, conversion factors can be used. "cc" and milliliters are equivalent units for volume. The abbreviation "cc" is more commonly used than "cm3" because it is shorter and easier to use.
Superman89
Do I need to use "cc" to represent "cubic centimeters?"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, no one's going to MAKE you use it -- but that is the normal abbreviation. Note that a cubic centimeter equals a milliliter, so you could use mL to denote the same volume.

- Warren

Thanks

Related to Cubic Centimeters: Do I Need to Use "cc"?

1. What are cubic centimeters (cc)?

Cubic centimeters (cc) are a unit of measurement for volume. It is equal to the volume of a cube with sides that are 1 centimeter in length.

2. When should I use "cc" instead of other units of measurement?

"cc" is commonly used in the medical field to measure the volume of medications or fluids. It is also commonly used to measure the displacement of engines in cars and motorcycles.

3. How do I convert cubic centimeters to other units of measurement?

To convert cubic centimeters to other units of measurement, you can use conversion factors. For example, 1 cc is equal to 1 milliliter (ml) or 0.001 liters (L).

4. Are cubic centimeters and milliliters the same thing?

Yes, cubic centimeters and milliliters are equivalent units of measurement for volume. They both measure the same amount of space.

5. Why is "cc" commonly used instead of "cm3" for cubic centimeters?

The abbreviation "cc" is derived from the Latin word "cubic centimeter," while "cm3" is derived from the abbreviation for centimeter (cm) and the number 3. "cc" is shorter and easier to use, which is why it is more commonly used in everyday language.