Curiosity for existence of Anti- photons?

In summary: The matter and antimatter created in the early universe annihilated each other, but some matter was left over. This is what we see in the observable universe today.In summary, we discussed the existence of anti-particles of photons, which are also photons. We also explored the possibility of creating a region devoid of light by colliding photons with their corresponding anti-photons, but noted that the cross section for photon-photon collisions is very low. We also touched upon the creation of particles from the annihilation of photons and the mystery of the baryonic asymmetry in the universe.
Shri13
Hello friends! I am a newbie here. I love quantum physics very much... especially the standard model of fundamental particles, QED, QCD, etc. I have an urge to create my own theory on space quanta (that's for another time...) but my main question is:
  • Does anti-particle of a photon exist (i.e. anti-photon) ?
  • And if it does exist then what will be the anhilation product of it? (i.e. photon + anti-photon ---> ?)
  • Also will anti photon help to create black light? (i.e. will it help to create darkness?)

Science news on Phys.org
Shri13 said:
Does anti-particle of a photon exist (i.e. anti-photon) ?
The anti-particle of a photon is a photon.

Shri13 said:
And if it does exist then what will be the anhilation product of it? (i.e. photon + anti-photon ---> ?)
Photon-photon collisions are very rare. A priori you can create anything as long as conservation laws are obeyed and you have enough energy.

Shri13 said:
Also will anti photon help to create black light? (i.e. will it help to create darkness?)
No.

Orodruin said:
No.
For your third reply sir, i meant can we make a certain region ( say a cubic metre) devoid of light by colliding light photons with their corresponding anti photons? ( just like how sound waves nullify each other when they approach out of phase!)

Shri13 said:
For your third reply sir, i meant can we make a certain region ( say a cubic metre) devoid of light by colliding light photons with their corresponding anti photons? ( just like how sound waves nullify each other when they approach out of phase!)

You mean colliding photons with other photons. As its own antiparticle a photon is never called an antiphoton. To answer your question, yes, the possibility exists, but as Orodruin already said, the cross section is exceedingly low, which means that photons very, very rarely interact with each other in annihilation events. But this is nothing like two waves interacting out of phase. Annihilation events between two photons would create other particles.

Drakkith said:
Annihilation events between two photons would create other particles.

That's what I was asking.
Can you tell me what will be those particles?
Will those particles be neutral, charged or massless, etc. And basically what will govern the formation of a particular type of particle from the collision of photons?
Does that means light created matter and antimatter then why only matter is existing in our visible universe? And where is the rest of antimatter gone?
Also what's the proof that this matter which we see is "matter" and not the "anti matter"?

Shri13 said:
Will those particles be neutral, charged or massless, etc. And basically what will govern the formation of a particular type of particle from the collision of photons?

As long as you have enough energy, you can produce almost any type of particle as long as conservation rules are followed. For example, two gamma ray photons can annihilate and produce an electron-positron pair.

Shri13 said:
Does that means light created matter and antimatter then why only matter is existing in our visible universe? And where is the rest of antimatter gone?

If you can answer that question then you'll win a nobel prize. :wink:

Shri13 said:
Also what's the proof that this matter which we see is "matter" and not the "anti matter"?

We have defined the matter we are made out of, which is also the dominant matter in the observable universe, to be 'normal matter' and the anti-particles of this matter to be 'anti-matter'. It's just convention, much like its convention to label electrons as having a negative charge and protons as having positive. It could easily be the reverse, but it wouldn't change anything.

Likes bhobba
Shri13 said:
Does that means light created matter and antimatter then why only matter is existing in our visible universe? And where is the rest of antimatter gone??

This is known as the baryonic asymmetry - as yet, an unanswered question in physics. It has been proposed that massive bosons may have played a role in it, but no sound theories exist as of yet.

Related to Curiosity for existence of Anti- photons?

1. What are anti-photons?

Anti-photons are hypothetical particles that have the same properties as photons, but with an opposite charge. They are considered the antiparticles of photons, much like how anti-electrons (positrons) are the antiparticles of electrons.

2. How are anti-photons studied?

Anti-photons have not yet been observed or studied directly. However, researchers have been studying their potential existence through experiments involving high-energy collisions, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider.

3. What is the significance of anti-photons?

If anti-photons are proven to exist, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental interactions of particles and the laws of physics. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and applications in areas such as quantum computing.

4. Are there any observable effects of anti-photons?

Currently, there are no known observable effects of anti-photons. However, if they do exist, they may exhibit similar properties to photons, such as being able to travel at the speed of light and being influenced by electromagnetic fields.

5. Could anti-photons be used as a source of energy?

It is currently unknown if anti-photons could be used as a source of energy. However, if they do exist, their potential properties and interactions with other particles would need to be further studied and understood before any practical applications could be developed.