Feedback on Educational Script: What's a particle in QFT?

• I
  • Thread starter norwegian_hobby_sci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
norwegian_hobby_sci
TL;DR Summary
Whats a particle in QFT?
I'm trying to create a YouTube educational science video on Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model. I'm not a physicist (just a hobby), and would love feedback on my explanation below, and help to point out (or rewrite) parts that are scientifically inacurate or misleading. Or just point me to literature.

"But something weird happens whenever we try to measure where a particle is in these fields - whether through our senses or instruments. This weirdness is related to what quantum scientists call “the measurement problem” or “the wave function collapse”. You see, when we make a measurement and locate a particle, the strengths of the field instantly changes into that particularly outcome. The field gets a big excitation at that particular point and close to 0 elsewhere. These excitations, which in some ways define the size of a particle, can be as small as we want depending on how accurate our measurement instrument is - so the concept of a particle size in quantum physics almost doesn't make much sense. In many cases, physicists simply assume that particles have a size of a point, i.e. 0, and their calculations and observations still work out. So in fact, what we call particles are nothing more than these measured excitations in the corresponding fields.

At this point you may mistakenly be thinking that the particle (i.e. excitation) exist before we measure, but we dont know about it until after the measurement. This is called hidden-variables theory and has been called into question by several experiments. For example in the double-slit experiment we can see that the spread out wave patterns of the quantum field strength before measurement affect real-world outcomes. This wave state of the quantum field are the best explanation for how the field can interact with itself and produces wave-like interference patterns [This last paragraph has been less polished by me]."

Physics news on Phys.org
norwegian_hobby_sci said:
I'm trying to create a YouTube educational science video on Quantum Field Theory .... I'm not a physicist
Um, why?

We spend a lot of time here trying to resolve problems caused by people who made YouTRube videos and didn't know what they were talking about. You are surely an expert in something...cooking, plumbing, playing the mandolin, whatever. Why not make a video about that?

As far as the text at hand, there's a lot to argue about, starting from the very first line, "start to measure". QM worked long before there were people around to measure anything.

Likes dextercioby and berkeman
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread reopened provisionally...
norwegian_hobby_sci said:
I'm trying to create a YouTube educational science video on Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model. I'm not a physicist (just a hobby),
So let me get this straight -- You have no idea what you are doing, and you want us to give you valuable information that you can pass off as yours and make money off of YouTube like you know what you are doing. Do I understand the situation correctly?

IBTL+...

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, DaveE, hutchphd and 2 others
So you admit that you're not a physicist, but you want to explain physics? Maybe you should consider a career in journalism? Journalists don't explain things themselves (normally), they interview people that know what they are talking about. They also explain to their audience who is doing the explanation. Why would your viewers care what you think about QFT?

The thing about education (before YouTube et.al.) is that educators had to be vetted to demonstrate that they know what they are teaching. But you are saying something like 'I don't understand this, but I'll teach it to others'. This isn't likely to get a great reaction from people that do know the material.

Have you ever heard about Dunning-Kruger? It might be applicable here.

Maybe videos of cats doing cute things? That seems to work (lots of clicks!!!), and you don't have to go to school for 16 years to explain it.

Likes PhDeezNutz, berkeman, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Yeah, this thread is done.

Likes PhDeezNutz and DaveE