Current and Impedance in a Transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of turns ratio, current, and impedance in an ignition transformer in a furnace. The secondary voltage is given as 13.9 kV and the primary operates at an rms voltage of 120 V with a primary impedance of 22.6 Ω and 91.1% efficiency. The turns ratio is found to be 13.9 kV/120 V and the conversation also touches upon the use of this ratio in finding the secondary current and impedance. The assumption is made that the secondary voltage is also rms.
pious&peevish
My textbook doesn't cover transformers in very much detail at all, so I only have a very vague idea as to how they work...

Homework Statement

The secondary voltage of an ignition transformer in a furnace is 13.9 kV. When the primary operates at an rms voltage of 120 V, the primary impedance is 22.6 Ω and the transformer is 91.1% efficient.
a) What turns ratio is required?
b) What is the current in the secondary?
c) What is the impedance in the secondary?

Homework Equations

V2/V1 = N2/N1 (where N2/N1 is the turns ratio)
V1 * I1 = V2 * I2
V1/I1 = R/(N2/N1)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved a) correctly, which was just 13.9 kV/120 V (i.e. N2/N1). But besides that, I honestly don't know what else to do. I guess I could start by plugging in 22.6 ohms into the equation for impedance [i.e. I(rms) = V(rms)/Z], but I'm getting completely mixed up. I'm also not sure how efficiency affects the final result...

Physics news on Phys.org
Efficiency refers to the ratio of V*I power of secondary and primary circuits. So, if you find Iprimary you can find Isecondary and hence the impedance of the secondary circuit.

Thanks! It doesn't say whether or not the secondary voltage (13.9 kV) is an rms voltage... should I assume that it is?

Yes I think it should be assumed so.

pious&peevish said:
Thanks! It doesn't say whether or not the secondary voltage (13.9 kV) is an rms voltage... should I assume that it is?
That's a reasonable assumption, since it says that the primary voltage is rms .

1. What is current in a transformer?

The current in a transformer refers to the flow of electrical charge through the windings of the transformer. It is typically measured in amperes.

2. What is impedance in a transformer?

Impedance in a transformer refers to the opposition that the transformer offers to the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms and is a combination of resistance and reactance.

3. How does current and impedance affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The current and impedance in a transformer are inversely related - as one increases, the other decreases. This means that a higher current will result in a lower impedance and vice versa. In general, a lower impedance will lead to a more efficient transformer.

4. How is current and impedance calculated in a transformer?

To calculate the current in a transformer, you can use Ohm's law: I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is impedance. Impedance can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R²+X²), where Z is impedance, R is resistance, and X is reactance.

5. What factors can affect the current and impedance in a transformer?

The current and impedance in a transformer can be affected by factors such as the number of windings, the material used for the windings, and the frequency of the electrical current. Additionally, changes in the load on the transformer can also impact current and impedance.